What are these parts And what do they do?

Dito707

One on left looks like a TCS switch which gets engine vacuum then sends it to the distributor advance by an electrical signal from transmission, the other is an idle solenoid. At least that is what they look like.

John S

Yes, from a 72 it looks like.

This system blocked off any vacuum to the vacuum advance on the distributor till the transmission (automatic) shifted into high gear (or reverse for testing, if I remember that correctly).

I removed mine from my 71 350 4BBL about a week after I bought it.

The start of emissions reduction.

Then the question is, ported or full? I use ported so it doesn't advance the timing at idle.

Bruce

So do I need these parts? What does the idle solenoid do? Is it like an electric choke? And will not having the TCS switch hooked up effect performance? Thanx guys

I believe the idle solenoid bumps up the idle when the air conditioning is turned on to compensate for the additional load the compressor adds to the engine. So to answer your question if you have A/C I believe you need it. I think you can go without the TCS switch but I am not sure. My 1970 350 4 spd does not have the TCS switch on it. I think a previous owner removed it but mine runs fine without it.

John S

So do I need these parts?

That is up to you. No, the car will run fine, perhaps a tiny bit better, without them as long as you do hook up a vacuum advance line to the dist. I wish I had kept my parts but probably would still be in my tool box.

What does the idle solenoid do?

This energizes, in high gear, keeping the throttle plates open a bit so when driving and you let up on the gas, the engine sucks a bit less raw / rich gasoline. If adjusted (set with shifter in reverse) too high, the engine will be running at a higher than wanted speed till it downshifts into 2nd gear on coast.

Is it like an electric choke?

No.

And will not having the TCS switch hooked up effect performance?

As set up from the factory, no vacuum advance to the dist in 1st and 2nd gear, I would bet most wouldn't notice much if any of an improvement.

Do you have A/C? I don't but as mentioned above, with A/C on, the idle would bump up a bit to keep the idle speed the same. Not 100% since it's a 1970, mine is a 71.

Bruce

Thanx guys! I appreciate all the info, I hope to keep my monte for a very long time so I need to learn it like the back of my hand.... And yes it has A.C. but it doesn't work, I suspect the blower is not working cause the heater won't blow either..... I will be posting more pics of parts to identify and learn about in the future. Thanx

Brandon,

Do you know if the engine is original to the vehicle or has it been replaced?

I feel that is a very important piece of information to have when purchasing replacement parts so you get the correct items.

I met a guy who had a 71 with a 70 ft clip. He ordered headlight bezels and they didn't fit. He didn't know it had a 70 ft clip on it till I looked at it. 

Learn you vehicle!

Bruce

Brandon,

This picture should help.

post-76-0-34088600-1511829309_thumb.jpg

Once you get the numbers off your engine, you can then look them up to see what it truly is.

After 47 years, anything could be in your engine compartment.

Many different places on the internet to look up what the numbers match to. I thought we had one here on our site, but I can't find it now. Since I have owned my 71 from new, I never really thought about this question.

Bruce

Here's another part/plug I need identified please..... A.C. maybe? It's not connected to anything so I want to take it out and get rid of all these wires that aren't going anyehere

post-5735-0-55365900-1511844746_thumb.jpg

In 1970 and 71 the horn relay was in the left (drivers) side of the radiator support near the voltage regulator. In 72 the horn relay was moved to the firewall, I believe.

I believe it is attached to the firewall and probably part of the TCS system. I have two in that location. 

There is a connector on the right (Passenger) side of my THM350 trans that is also a part of the TCS wiring.

I don't know much about 1970, till now I didn't think they even had TCS unless it was built for California???

Pictures for / from my 71 regarding TCS.

post-76-0-87181000-1511874288_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-20455300-1511874328_thumb.jpg