Question

JG72

When putting the pulley back onto crankshaft and tightening it,the crank moved a few times. Will that offset my timing in the car? It idles great and revs up fine in park. But when I step into it it sputters and pops in exhaust system. Any feedback would help. Thanks!

Sounds like your vacuum advance isn't functioning properly. That is one of the possible causes. You didmy say if you have a stock ignition, electronic ignition, etc. Let us know what alterations there are under the hood.

rob

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Hei distributor,stock 402 engine. What I did was remove some pulleys (to paint),took smog pump/diverter valve off and hoses.Blocked off the check valves (until I figure out what I'm going to do). Had the carb rebuilt (shop) and reinstalled everything. I've checked the timing which is between 10-12 degrees. Adjusted the carb a little richer (thought maybe to lean). All vacuum hoses are connected. Car ran fine before this so I am lost. Just sputters/pops on drivers side bank when I start to get into the pedal.

I would focus on the carb. Double check to make sure there isn't a vacuum leak around the base of the carb. When you say adjust the carb how was that performed? Did you use a vacuum gauge, or adjust it by ear?

It's getting plenty of gas down the carb. I can't see or hear a vacuum leak. Tighten carb screws slightly. I adjusted it by ear. But the car ran that way before I touched the carb. It starts to cut out on heavy accel only.

Thanks for the advice guys. Found spark plug wire #3 under the ac compressor not plugged in all the way. Needed small push to clip in. Always start with the basics I say but didn't do in this case ugh. Lesson learned!

• Like 1