#1 Leghome

Leghome

Maytag "Danged Agitator"

• Members

• 4,959 posts
  • Location35 mi NE of INDY
  • Legal Name:Larry E Gilbert

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:35 PM

I have been looking at switching out my 350 that was rebuilt two years ago but have dropped that idea for now to upgrade all four corners to new disc brakes and possibly upgrading to coil overs. I have followed several threads for the suspension upgrade but the brake conversion has me baffeled. Should I go with a kit that has everything or pc meal it. Has anybody dealt with the folks at Right Stuff? Are there any other recommendations for make kits to switch over my SB Monte. I just redid the old brake system last year and do really like the results that much. I wished I had done the disc conversion at that time.
http://www.firstgenm...-monte-trailer/
Larry E Gilbert
Markleville IN
"IF'n I had know retirement was this good I'd have done it a lot sooner"

#2 Michael Boyte

Michael Boyte

Bronze Member

• Members

• 546 posts
  • LocationOcean Drive section, North Myrtle Beach SC
  • Legal Name:Michael Boyte

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:51 PM

Larry, go with either Wilwood or Baer. You will not be disappointed. A friend of mine went with right-stuff... Nothing but headaches.ended up going to all Wilwood.
Mike and Ann Boyte
[url="""]https://imageshack.com/i/m950pdj'>[/url]Posted Image
1972 Monte Carlo

#3 Leghome

Leghome

Maytag "Danged Agitator"

• Members

• 4,959 posts
  • Location35 mi NE of INDY
  • Legal Name:Larry E Gilbert

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

We’ve had a few minor things change here so the brake overhaul may be delayed until next year. I redid them last year with new rotors drums shoes pads and hardware. Get the wheels cleaned and looking good drive to a car show and have to clean wheels again. What shoes and pads are youse guys using. These are the premium pads and shoes from NAPA and really dislike them.
http://www.firstgenm...-monte-trailer/
Larry E Gilbert
Markleville IN
"IF'n I had know retirement was this good I'd have done it a lot sooner"

#4 cny first gen 71

cny first gen 71

Platinum Member

• Members

• 4,680 posts
  • LocationLiverpool N.Y. USA
  • Legal Name:Steve Lavoie

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:06 AM

I used the stock factory pads on mine, I think we used to call them organic. D52 I believe is the # I haven't changed the shoes on mine but will use stock ones on that too. Parts house will try and sell you ceramic because there the best but I don't believe they are the best for older cars but some will argue that. I also plan on leaving the drum brakes on the rear.
There is no such thing as strangers, only friends we have yet to meet.

#5 cbolt

cbolt

Bronze Member

• Members

• 1,128 posts
  • LocationPalm Coast, Florida

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:44 AM

I am happy with ceramic pads, which generate significantly less brake dust resulting in less wheel cleaning time. Whether or not they are the "best" depends on what you are looking for. There are pads out there that will offer improved stopping ability over ceramic but what I was looking for was less wheel cleaning. Plus, I don't race my car or drive it hard enough to need a few feet less stopping distance.

The same argument could be made with wildwood or baer brakes over the right stuff. I don't put my Monte in situations where I will need that much stopping power, at least not on purpose. I had no issues installing the right stuff kit myself and am pretty happy with the results.

In the end the question is what do YOU want and how do you plan to drive your car? I upgraded my car with the intent to drive it long distance and often so I focused on comfort, gas mileage, and overall driveability.

Having said that I cannot say enough good things about the shock absorber upgrade. I didn't do coil overs, but did Koni shocks on all four corners. The resulting improvement in cornering really shined on a recent trip to the north Georgia mountains. We took a side trip to a place the call "The tail of the dragon" and it was nothing short of a blast driving the Monte on a road known as a motorcycle must-ride destination.

What ever you decide to do I am sure you will be pleased with the results.

"Blue Thunder"

#6 MCBeast

MCBeast

Bronze Member

• Members

• 804 posts
  • LocationRiverview, FL
  • Legal Name:Ricky Bobby

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:28 PM

I ended up going with a Kore 3 upgrade to Corvette C6 brakes. I liked the hub they make to convert our spindle to modern rotor styles, Toby was great to deal with, and I wanted to be able to go into any parts store and get replacement parts.

Of course, I’m not on the road yet, but I’m aiming to be by summer.
-DJ

*shovels money into a roaring fire*
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Home Page
Mission|Benefits|Join|Renew|Merchandise
Message Forum
Members' Montes|Meet Photos
Tech Info|Museum|Parts|Registry|Links|Contact Us