Any tips for radiator pads for a 3" Griffin?

Clever Idiot

Hey folks,

Just got a Griffin for an LS conversion. Seems a hair tall, and I'm not sure what to do about radiator pads. All the ones I've been able to find seem to have a curved cut for the stock-style radiator tanks, and this is a definite rectangle.

I know plenty have used Griffins or other aftermarket aluminum radiators, so I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction for how to get it in there, and save me some headaches. :)

Hey folks,

Just got a Griffin for an LS conversion. Seems a hair tall, and I'm not sure what to do about radiator pads. All the ones I've been able to find seem to have a curved cut for the stock-style radiator tanks, and this is a definite rectangle.

I know plenty have used Griffins or other aftermarket aluminum radiators, so I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction for how to get it in there, and save me some headaches. :)

I ended up taking a utility knife to my new mounts and trimmed them so that they fit better.  I don't believe anybody makes perfect fitting mounts for aluminum radiators.

I ended up taking a utility knife to my new mounts and trimmed them so that they fit better.  I don't believe anybody makes perfect fitting mounts for aluminum radiators.

Yeah, the ones I currently have are from NPD (C-1270-101P) and they're a perfect for my stock small block radiator. Had to trim to get the driver's side pads into the core and upper retainer, but that's it. To trim those for the Griffin looks like I'll have to cut out almost a 1/4" from the saddle. I'm thinking big block radiator pads (PTP-7-1712-BL on Summit) might work with less trimming because they're showing an inner dimension of 3.48".

I'm hoping that with the properly trimmed pads it won't sit up so high, but if it does I'm thinking I'll need to cut the lower radiator support and re-weld it lower down.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

I got the big-block radiator pads (link) and they're much closer to the Griffin. The small block ones just required way too much trimming. These only required a little.

Untouched next to radiator:

xdt5FiMm.jpg

Untouched next to trimmed (small pieces are what was removed):

ggqQ9Bym.jpg

But now I have a different issue: the core supports (and top retainer) are way too small for the pads. I think I'm going to have to do some cutting and welding to extend them. Were the radiator core supports different for big blocks than small blocks? Passenger side pads fit no problem, but driver side would require so much trimming as to completely cut off one side of them.

Did your car have A/C?  I believe there were two types of radiators and core supports used.  The first was for SBC cars without A/C, they had a smaller opening in the core support and had three bolt holes in the top cover.  The second is for SBC cars with A/C or BBC cars, this had a larger opening and the top plate has four holes.

Yep, originally a 350 2bbl Rochester with A/C. Top bracket has 4 bolt holes; I had my original blasted and powdercoated as well as the core support. I feel like I'm going crazy. :crazy:

Top driver side showing how shallow the top bracket is

ydr87Wfm.jpg

Showing alignment:

NcyUNspm.jpg

Bottom driver side:

4w3QElEm.jpg

Top passenger side, fits perfectly:

fwU9Iwpm.jpg

Bottom passenger side, also fits perfectly:

lgWO9W4m.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hey look what I found!

lol - old thread but I get endlessly frustrated by finding threads with my problem and no solution, so this is for anyone stumbling across this thread. In another thread here someone said that one option was a 4-core radiator, but it wasn't common? Regardless, GM welded tabs to fit the larger tank of the 4-core.

So, I think this will work, because from what I can tell it's extending the support and top plate exactly where I need it to for the Griffin. I'll update once I have verification.

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/product/chevrolet-monte-carlo-radiator-top-plate-4-bolt-style-black-oem-style-with-welded-tab-for-heavy-duty-cooling/60030

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/product/chevrolet-chevelle-malibu-radiator-core-support-extension-bracket-used-with-4-core-radiators/49881

This has been mentioned fairly recently. What those 2 pieces do is basically make a HD cooling/ LS6 support and top. The LS6 referring to Chevelles. 

I believe Ted Williams makes those pieces also. 

I hope it works the way you need. Await your results. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update! Good and bad news. Then pictures.

Good news: the new upper plate fits the pads perfectly, and I welded on the extension plate on the bottom - it also fits the pad perfectly.
Bad news: the radiator I bought isn't wide enough to fit the core support.

I got the Griffin 8-70010-LS from Summit. It's listed as fitting the 1970 MC and Chevelle, with dimensions of 31.25" x 16.62" x 3". It's juuuuuust shy of what it needs to be. It either has the top plate half-covering the filler neck, or it doesn't reach the driver side isolator pad. Either in my haste of not measuring the core support or in my trusting of the application list, I goofed.

What I should have gotten was the 8-70008-LS, which has listed dimensions of 33.25" x 19" x 3".

And since I ordered the radiator back in December 2017, that's too far to stretch the exchange/return policy (which I expected and I'm not mad about).

So next up is selling the Griffin on eBay or something to recoup some of the money and getting the proper one. Or maybe a different one, but unless I'm wrong Griffin has a good reputation and I sure don't want to spend a little less money now just to have to replace the whole thing later.

Here's a video I found installing the 70008 radiator into a Chevelle. It shows the mods necessary to get it to drop in properly, although he fabs his own extensions rather than getting the parts. But the important part is it shows all the stuff needed to drop in a "DiReCt FiT" radiator 🙄😆

Now, for the pics of my below-average welding!

kP9456X.jpg

aQtSM3Y.jpg

AXzeHBi.jpg

piOe239.jpg

DwJpX1p.jpg

• Like 1