Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
Sign in to follow this  
KWick_70MC

VALANCE BETWEEN TAILIGHTS

after I got the 1/4s off and the taillights out, the valance that runs the length of the back of the car above the bumber and between the taillights needs to be replaced.

is there a reproduction?

any chance a chevelle would work?

anyone have one they would be willing to part with?

There is not a direct reproduction that I am aware of.  How much damage are you looking at, panel damage or a rotted seam on the bottom right behind the bumper?  A 1968/1969 Chevelle rear panel may fit if you're just using the lip for patching.

My brother and I just replaced that exact panel on his 72. We bought a parts car for the panel and some other parts. I would also check with Hector or Jared. No reproduction panel as of yet for our Montes.

Nope , Chevelle panel won't work,tried it. found mine thru a member in Illinois. Leo, Hector or Jared. I hate surprises!

Nope , Chevelle panel won't work,tried it. found mine thru a member in Illinois. Leo, Hector or Jared. I hate surprises!

Is it on the sides that the panel won't work, or everything?  Mine is rusted just at the bottom lip where water got into the caulking on the inside.  Chopping up a replacement panel for the middle curvature would be cheaper than using a shrinker/stretcher.

My '71 had what sounds like the same issue.

I knew I had some metal working to do overall and wanted to try to do it myself. I picked up a welder and some body working tools, along with a 4x8 sheet of sheet metal. This is my first go around with any of this sort of thing and I figured this is one area that isn't too critical or visible. I shaped 3 pieces by hand and with a rigged up bender, then welded into place. First shot at welding sheet metal too.

Learned a few things, pretty much what not to do - thinned out the metal way too much when grinding and cleaning, resulted in blowing holes with the welder.

Some frustration, but I'm good with end result, still not 'completed' yet, but closer.

post-1245-0-68006100-1515075004_thumb.jpg

post-1245-0-19806200-1515075017_thumb.jpg

Been there Drew............good luck!

Very Nice work there.

rob

Is that all your handiwork Murph? Looks really good regardless.

I can't take credit for the metal work as that came from friend who does outstanding work. Everything else was my blood,sweat, and tears. We did butt joints so a lot of work went into the project to make it look flawless.....Thanks.

found one from a texas car and it arrived yesterday. needs to be cleaned up a bit but is in near perfect condition. thanks for all the inputs