Assembly plants for 1970?

Does anyone know if the Leeds plant in Kansas City built Monte Carlos in '70? I know they did in '71 and later. I don't recall hearing about or reading about any from there in '70, and I saw on a Chevelle technical info site that the Montes weren't made in KC until '71. If that's true, it makes me wonder even more why my '70 was shipped from the Van Nuys plant to the Leeds plant. Could it have been used for demonstration there, prior to starting production of the '71s?

I have a small collection of build sheets to check for assembly plants.

Also, is there anyone here with a first gen that was assembled in Atlanta? I've read online and in this forum that they were built there, but is there proof?

I thought that all 3 years were built in each of the five plants, KC, LA, Flint, Baltimore, and Oshawa, and only those plants. I also read tonight that they were only built in '70 at Flint. There's a lot of conflicting information online and a guy doesn't know what to believe until the build sheets, cowl tags, and VINS are checked.

Thanks for any help.

Dan

• Like 1

Hi Dan. From what I recall the 70s were built in Van Nuys, Flint, and Baltimore. I have a Baltimore built monte- build sheet and a Flint built SS- no build sheet. My 71 402 4speed is a Baltimore car- no build sheet. (I think the former owner took it) My brothers 72 was built in Van Nuts and has 2 build sheets so far. I don’t know if Monte’s were build in Leeds or KC. Can’t wait to find out.

• Like 1

My 70 I bought on Sept 20,1969 was Van Nuys built. Supposed to come for Flint but Flint plant went on strike. 10 weeks later my 70 showed up at the dealership in Pendleton IN

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know my 71SS was built at the leeds plant in late December of 1970.  Makes me think maybe they may have built 70s there.  Later RJD

• 2 weeks later...

The Flint plant was retooled for truck production at the end of the 1970 model year so the Monte was only built there in 1970. 

I did not know that! The 70 Monte I'm looking to buy, was an early build (chrome under headlights) Flint car. So, between the strike and not building Montes in 71; Flint built Montes are low numbers...  I will find out actual production date soon.

Chrome trim on the bottom of the headlight fender extensions does NOT indicate an early production Monte. My 70 is a very late build (June of 1970) and it came with that trim.

rib

• Like 1

Chrome trim on the bottom of the headlight fender extensions does NOT indicate an early production Monte. My 70 is a very late build (June of 1970) and it came with that trim.

rib

OK, I didn't realize that. My first 70 was a Baltimore, Sept 69 built car. I had the build sheet. It had the chrome under the headlights and the halo vinyl top trim.  The 70 I'm looking at now has the chrome under headlights but not the halo vinyl top trim. I just thought it was dealer, or later installed. I love finding out all this great info on the Montes!!!!!

All the 70 Montes I have had with the under headlight chrome and Halo tops were early production. The 70's that had the "long" top and no chrome were later production. Idk what's what just what I have had and have seen throughout the years.Just my .02. I would like to know the answer also.

Years ago we tried to put together some comparisons about this.  What we figured is some of the plants may have run out of the full halo (which includes the painted strip between the halo trim and the windshield trim) and the under fender extension trim.  They would have run out at different times or not at all, like I said, mine is a very late production at the Baltimore Plant that had both of these things from the factory.

So, as some of the plants ran out of product they may have switched over to the 71/72 style of halo trim.  Also, keep in mind that each assembly plant would have had multiple assembly lines and some of the lines may run out sooner than others.  

I think this is one of those things that will continually pop up here on the site.

rob