Calibrate a Temp Gauge ??

Mike Brichta

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know if it is possible to calibrate the Temp Gauge in a car with factory gauges?

Here is what is going on. I have a 70 Monte with factory gauges and the Temp Gauge is showing about 70 degrees higher than it should. I used an infrared temp gun to check out the problem. The gun shows around 165 and the gauges reads around 235. I've already replaced the engine temp sensor and the thermostat in the car and it still shows the same. I could just ignore the problem but since the gauge only goes up to 250 it makes me nervous while driving to see it that high. Also, I might not know if the engine actually does ever overheat if I train myself to ignore the gauge.

My next step would to order a new dash gauge but I thought maybe I could somehow calibrate what I already have.

Thanks!!

Mike

Hey Bob,

That's what I was thinking would be the easiest and quickest fix. Where did you get the resister and what Ohm did you use? I may have to guess at a few resistors before I get the right one.

Thanks!!

Mike

Radio shack and I don’t remember what it was, I had tried a few different ones. I do think I used the base resistance reading on the replacement one and added the more to what it’s was originally but I didn’t make any notes and memory is just not there.m

Radio Shack was the first place I looked but I'm not sure they are in business anymore. They were nice to have around.

I am looking to do just what you suggested, add some resistance to what it is already providing. I will keep trying to locate a place that sells inline resistors. Maybe a multi-pack.

Thanks!!

Mike