Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
AnHie65

Front shocks and springs; is Tool J-23028 needed

Hi all,

I ordered new shocks and springs to both ends of my Monte. While waiting for the cargo coming from US to Finland I have checked both internet and MC Service manual. Rear shocks and springs assembly/installation seems to be easy and clear.

BUT how about front shocks and especially springs; is the removal tool J-23028 really needed or can the springs be taken out with traditional spring tighteners?

Other tips are warmly taken as well.

Anssi from Finland

Anssi,, For safety reasons, on the front springs, I would use a spring compression tool to remove the old and install the new springs.  You are right, the rears are pretty cut and dried but the front ones can be dangerous to do with a compression tool.  When I did my front end I did not use the tool to remove the first one and that thing flew out like it was shot out of a cannon.  Luckily nobody was standing in the direction it traveled.  The tool makes it safer and easier.

rob

Hi, Anssi,

I have rebuilt the front suspension of both my '70s and have also removed the front spring both ways: with and without spring compressors.  As Rob mentioned, removing them without a spring compressor can be pretty exciting (and very dangerous) so I also suggest you use tradition spring compressors. 

When I rebuilt the front suspension of my SS, I used an internal compressor (after removing the shock, of course), but I think a pair of external compressors will also work. The following photos show an internal spring compressor installed inside the spring keeping it from releasing its energy and the restrained spring dropping out.

post-567-0-80007900-1517095752_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-00622600-1517095668_thumb.jpg

I made a photo journal of the front suspension rebuild on my 4-speed Monte where I did not use a spring compressor.  You can read about my experience in the captions of slides 16-18 in that journal located at this LINK.

I also made a small photo journal of replacing the rear springs on the SS which you can find at this LINK.

BTW, which brand and model of springs did you choose for front and rear?

Anssi,, For safety reasons, on the front springs, I would use a spring compression tool to remove the old and install the new springs.  You are right, the rears are pretty cut and dried but the front ones can be dangerous to do with a compression tool.  When I did my front end I did not use the tool to remove the first one and that thing flew out like it was shot out of a cannon.  Luckily nobody was standing in the direction it traveled.  The tool makes it safer and easier.

rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for Your answer! By the tool You mean this J-23028 tool or the general tighteners?

Br,

Anssi

Hi, Anssi,

I have rebuilt the front suspension of both my '70s and have also removed the front spring both ways: with and without spring compressors.  As Rob mentioned, removing them without a spring compressor can be pretty exciting (and very dangerous) so I also suggest you use tradition spring compressors. 

When I rebuilt the front suspension of my SS, I used an internal compressor (after removing the shock, of course), but I think a pair of external compressors will also work. The following photos show an internal spring compressor installed inside the spring keeping it from releasing its energy and the restrained spring dropping out.

attachicon.gifP6256020.JPGattachicon.gifP6256023.JPG

I made a photo journal of the front suspension rebuild on my 4-speed Monte where I did not use a spring compressor.  You can read about my experience in the captions of slides 16-18 in that journal located at this LINK.

I also made a small photo journal of replacing the rear springs on the SS which you can find at this LINK.

BTW, which brand and model of springs did you choose for front and rear?

Hi,

Pretty impressive project photos You have! That internal compressor looks like a smart choice as well.

I chose the original-like ones:

MONROE 5804 (2) MOOG 5379   MOOG 5372   MONROE 5802 (2)

Br,

Anssi

And so,

I haven't used one like the one you mentioned. I used an internal compressor tool similar to one like this: ---

Boy, I hope that link works

We are lucky here because some of the auto parts stores here rent them for a small fee or free and that's what I used.

rob

Hi, this clarifies indeed. And the link works.

Many thanks,

Anssi