Idiot Lights Printed Circuit Board Problem.......need some help.

NWmonte71

Ok folks,

All of my dash lights worked perfectly prior to doing my shiftworks idiot light gauge conversion. One thing I noticed was that someone soldered a grounding wire directly to the light socket connection tab. The ground wire was attached to one of the speaker bracket bolts. The reason for someone doing this was that the printed circuit was de-laminated around the light socket and part of the printed strip missing. My issue now is that if I install the light just like before with the added grounding wire, the 4 amp fuse @ breaker will pop and all the lights in the dash go out. I guess I should just eliminate "band-aid" fixes done by a previous person and buy a new printed circuit? I guess I don't understand why the fuse is popping when I am just simply providing an alternative ground since the printed circuit is damaged. I assume the printed circuit is very sensitive to anything touching it besides the lighted contacts? 

I just tried to email Konicks Klassiks for an inquiry about a printed circuit to replace mine. My email got denied and said the address domain no longer exists? I emailed: leo@konicksklassiks.com

Is this not the correct address? 

Here is a link to where I get mine from. Have always had great luck with these. Even free shipping. Ebay user name is Sonnie24.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1972-chevelle-circuit-board-warning-lights/372210716451?hash=item56a97ccf23:g:DRYAAOSweZJaIVgR:sc:USPSFirstClass!53095!US!-1

Chris, when converting to gauges the PCB must be changed out as with several changes to the main cable connection. I've done 2 of these upgrades and even changed the location of gauges, modifications to the PCB & connector are a must. Good luck!

Chris, when converting to gauges the PCB must be changed out as with several changes to the main cable connection. I've done 2 of these upgrades and even changed the location of gauges, modifications to the PCB & connector are a must. Good luck!

Murphy,  I am not sure what you are referring to as far as PCB and harness connection modifications? The conversion I did was strictly Shiftworks and is designed to work with the original dummy light setup. The gauges are volt/coolant temp/oil pressure and are "stand-alone" gauges that do not receive any power from the PCB. Also, Shiftworks does not mention any word of PCB swapout or wiring modifications with this kit. I assume you are talking about a person converting their stock idiot light setup to an OEM full gauge pack with it's unique PCB for full gauges? Right now the only thing my PCB powers is the fuel gauge, turn signals, and high beam indicator, and all the back ground lighting. Everything else is "Stand-alone" wired. 

Thanks for the clarification Chris. I did not realize that the Shift works kit was different than the OEM version. I'don't replace the PCB as previously mentioned, good luck!

Here is a link to where I get mine from. Have always had great luck with these. Even free shipping. Ebay user name is Sonnie24.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1972-chevelle-circuit-board-warning-lights/372210716451?hash=item56a97ccf23:g:DRYAAOSweZJaIVgR:sc:USPSFirstClass!53095!US!-1

I followed your link to buy this one on Ebay. Thanks everyone else for suggestions/feedback, I appreciate it. I'll update with how it goes once I install the new printed circuit board.