Brake Booster nut removal question

I'm trying to remove my brake booster to get it rebuilt and refinished. I got the master cylinder off no problem but the four nuts that hold the booster on, not so much. I have sprayed it with some wd40 a few times but the nuts seem to want to strip. Does anyone have any hints?

Use PB Blaster.  Also, only use 6 point sockets/wrenches.  Just a stupid question because I can't remember how I removed mine but I don't think the booster is mounted on studs but the bolts actually pass through the firewall and you have to have wrenches on the interior firewall and engine compartment firewall.  If that is the case that bolts are not studs but in fact bolts you and they are rusted on you could just cut them off with a dremel tool.

Last I heard, 409 was a cleaner, not a rust remover but I could be wrong.

rob

Paul,

I second the use of PB Blaster and a long box end wrench to break them loose but I also found that this was a perfect place to use my 9/16'" ratcheting box end Gear Wrench. The head was trim enough to access even the lower nuts and the 5 degree minimum ratcheting angle saved me a lot of wrench handling gymnastics.  Good luck.

My son in-law ans I used a variety of wrenches getting mine off at Christmas time from the ratcheting end wrench to a stubby wrench. Very time consuming especially with the hood on. So not looking forward to the reinstall but that will come in March after I get it booster back from having it restored.  We still have to install the dash with the new Dakota Digital display 

• Like 1

Well after 5 hours and some pb blaster and a whole lot of patience I got those 4 little stinkers off. Of course the two on the hinge side both stripped out. What a pain in the back.... Now to get all the black paint off and get it and the master cylinder rebuilt and re-plated

Where is everyone having there power booster restored?     I didnt have any problems taking the booster off, i pb them and the next day i used a 6 pt with 12inch ext and they came right off.   

• 4 years later...

Just adding to the "brake booster knowledge base" here.

I just installed a booster from OReillys today ($120).  While trying to get the old one out, I was initially really annoyed by the lack of access to the retaining nut. I had to walk away for a bit.

Two key pieces of advice to aid in removal:

1) Remove the back hinge/fender bolts, allowing the hood to tilt down and shift forward. This IMMENSELY improves access to the nuts.

2) Use a ratcheting closed end 9/16 wrench to break the nuts loose and remove them. if needed, use a longer open end wrench on the closed end of the wrench, with the wrench to wrench leverage technique, to break them loose.

The whole replacement took about 45 minutes once I figured out how to get the nuts off.IMG_20220306_163654970_HDR.thumb.jpg.67fd4dacc25fd891862a1291b4bc9feb.jpgIMG_20220306_163702342_HDR.thumb.jpg.ab3e3c6efd9fe27262e3e4f88e42eaaa.jpg

• Like 1

I dont get all the complaining. Mine was no problem. No special wrenches, no sore back and no busted knuckles. Just do it like I did mine. Easy peasy. Lol. Sorry had to. 

27EA7A60-C9EA-401D-AB85-0059D013F2D4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1