Is this the trunk light power wire?

NWmonte71

I have a really nice colored wiring diagram that shows my monte carlo is "possibly" equipped with a trunk light. I opened my trunk up and looked inside and traced out all of the wiring. No light bulb or light housing exists that I can see. I did find an orange wire leading to a female connector. The connector is currently connected to nothing. I hooked up a test light to it and it illuminated, so it has 12v at all times. Perhaps this used to plug into the trunk light circuit? I have no idea if all monte carlos came standard with trunk lights or if it was an option? Does anyone have a factory installed one I can see for reference? If my car is supposed to have one, where can I buy one? Thank!

post-5838-0-34350100-1518388556_thumb.jpg

post-5838-0-90638100-1518388563_thumb.jpg

post-5838-0-26781000-1518388572_thumb.jpg

The Trunk Light was an option you could add or was a part of the 72 Custom Package.  The pic shows location of bulb & wiring running from L.H Trunk Lid support.  You can see the wire where it comes off the L/H Trunk Hinge arm into the Trunk Lid.  I can't say if a new one (Kit) is purchable but should be able to locate what you may need without a whole lot of searching.  The build sheet would say if was included.

Doug    

post-458-0-43812800-1518391789_thumb.jpg

Wow!  I had no idea the trunk light was located on the trunk lid deck itself. So......... is my mystery "orange wire with connector" specifically for the optional trunk light? Even if my car did not have one to begin with, I would like to install one. This whole time I assumed the light itself was located inside the trunk under the package tray deck or something. 

I added a trunk light and under hood light shortly after taking delivery of my 71. Back then I just bought them from the Chevy dealership parts dept.

After it's restoration, in the mid 1980's, I didn't use the under hood light because it was rusty.

Bruce

I checked the square cutout on the underside of the trunk deck lid, no light housing is there or wiring. I did see a single drilled hole, I assume it is pre-drilled for mounting the light. As far as I can tell the Chevelles and Montes share the same trunk deck lid, therefore a "chevelle" trunk light kit would work? I'm going to check Ebay and see what I can come up with. 

Hey Chris, just the tip of the iceberg with the chevelle sharing the trunk light. 

Just to name a few to start with here, the chevelle and Monte Carlo were related all the way through.

SAME

Power windows, Power door locks, Power trunk, diff, disk Brakes, springs, trunk lid, hinges for doors and hood,

Full dash and wiring, steering column, engines, Radiators, buckets and console,.......the list goes on and on and on.

1970 to 1972 chevelle and 1970 to 1972 Monte carlo

Darren

Only picture I have of my 71 trunk light that I added, from the Chevy dealership, soon after I bought the car.

post-76-0-41204000-1518529110_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies!  I found a few original units on Ebay that appear to be the correct one. The real funny thing is that OPG (Original Parts Group) shows a trunk light kit in their Monte Carlo catalog for the 1st gens. It looks nothing like what everyone has been showing me on their cars.  Goofy. 

What OPG offers seems to be similar to the first one I linked to above.

I think the two very different units is because one is factory installed and the other is dealer installed and available at the parts counter.

We need to find a member with pics of a factory installed trunk light.

The only one I found so far is in my box of parts for my project 70 Chevelle. It looks like the one in post # 10. I will look some more. I believe I have more here somewhere.

RealRed70,  Thanks so much for looking! I appreciate it very much. Let me know what you end up finding. Thanks.