71 SS

orbit

Thanks Rob. More to come. Working on the painting of the front suspension parts this week. Should have them installed with pictures by next weekend. Rear should be done for next weekend as well and I think the engine rebuilder is taking the motor by the end of the month. Gonna get this baby ready for next season. It has been on hold way too long

As you guys can see I need help with these pictures. I am not that great with a computer as you can tell. Someone must be able to help me right side up these pictures. Its very frustrating to the point where I really dont want to post anymore pictures if this is how they are gonna come out. Anybody with a little help?

Thanks Joe

Looks Great Joe, Right where I was 2 years ago...!!!   I did the same thing with the fuel and return line clamps. New bolts but blasted the clamps and repainted. I also have the resonators but didnt install them as of yet, ran the exhaust full through for now. Resonators were on the 70 chevelle that I had though. 

shoot me an email any time Joe now you have the address.

I will follow this post lots........ Great stuff ...

Darren

Thanks Dan. Just cleaning up the passenger side spindle before blasting and found some paint markings. Hard to see in photo but purple in the middle and on the lower ball joint and white slash on the upper ball joint

post-1179-0-59142100-1518989226_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got the rear back today from being rebuilt and powder coated. Not sure about what color to paint the rear cover but assembly starts this week

post-1179-0-56564200-1520289786_thumb.jpg

post-1179-0-34565000-1520289823_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Joe, that is looking great, the excitement builds!!! Keep the pictures coming, we love to see the progress.

rob

• Like 1

Joe, your car is looking so nice!

Is that Gardner exhaust?

This will be all stock, correct?

My friend got a 71 SS after I bought my 71 350 4BBL.

I liked his better but sadly a truck ran a red light and T boned it bad.

Love the pictures and you WILL be happy you took them all.

Bruce

Bruce.

That is the Gardner Exhaust. Eric Gardner hooked me up. She is all stock except for the 4 speed that I'm putting in it. All GM stuff no aftermarket if I can help it. I kept all the auto stuff so when my Son inherits this car he can put it back if he wants but right now this is how I want it.

Gonna get the front suspension installed this weekend. Trans should be back in two weeks and motor back from rebuilder by the end of the month. Should have the rest of the body work done by August and then out for paint. Can't wait to see it in Classis Copper. Should make next season.

Thanks Joe

• Like 1

I changed the color of the diff cover. Was not happy with the color it was. Found some great stuff for black oxideing the bolts. Stuff is great. Kept my original bump stops for the rear. Just had to clean them up and reuse them as the reproduction ones were not even close.

post-1179-0-97596600-1520711665_thumb.jpg

post-1179-0-33118800-1520711682_thumb.jpg

post-1179-0-90267500-1520711710_thumb.jpg

post-1179-0-07537700-1520711728_thumb.jpg

post-1179-0-99663200-1520711743_thumb.jpg

That's quite an accomplishment.  You know, once you are done with this beauty, you are not going to want to take it out on the road and get it dirty.  Keep those pictures coming, we love them.

rob

Joe, and all other members, Looking at your axle reminded me that about 10 years ago when working on a vibration issue, I ran across a fairly deep worn area (where the bearing rides) of my right (passenger side) axle shaft on my 71. (see Picture)

post-76-0-39920800-1520733058_thumb.jpg

I was told to purchase an "off set" axle brg. I did and it took car of this problem.

The vibration turned out to be a bad U Joint but I was happy to find and fix this issue also.

I was told it is a common problem, not sure if that is true but wanted to pass along this bit of information.

I wish I took a pic of the new "off set" bearing, it rides on an area of the axle that isn't worn.

Love your car and the quality of work it is receiving.

Bruce

Bruce

That's why you see new axels in the rear end. I to had that same issue but while the rear was getting rebuilt I told him to get new axels. Thanks for all your kind words guys. I love this club. You guys are awesome.

Joe

• Like 1

Great job! There is a spring installation tool in the chassis service manual for installing the A arm and spring. The manual gives the dimensions for making one. I made one and it worked great, using a floor jack. No damage to the powder coat.

Dan

post-339-0-74021600-1520803663_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-97829200-1520805653_thumb.jpg

Wow great work.  I'm a bit jealous as this is something I would have like to done to mine.  Keep the pics and progress coming.  I can only dream now :)  Later RJD