11 replies to this topic

#1 NWmonte71

NWmonte71

• Members

• 111 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, WA
  • Legal Name:Chris Harris

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:59 PM

Alright folks, I had to recently drain my radiator for some work I was doing. Once the radiator was drained down, I noticed the cooling tube ends inside were coated with deposits........(not good for cooling). At this point I am seriously thinking about replacing the radiator with a new aluminum unit. I am not concerned with original authenticity, but rather something that fits good, dissipates the heat efficiently, and works with the stock automatic transmission cooler lines. I have heard of several people buying the Champion Radiators and liking them, but also complaining the welds look horrible and quality is questionable. My small block 350 is stock and so is my air conditioning system, so I just need something that works. I like the idea of aluminum because it's lighter and transfers heat better than the old copper/brass stuff. Besides the transmission lines, is there anything else I have to remove/detach in order to pull the radiator? I really do not want to disturb the AC system. 

Attached Files

sml_gallery_5838_288_247210.jpg1971 Monte Carlo, #'s matching 350cid with TH350, Factory "Lime Green" with original "Antique White" painted top.

#2 Paul Bell

Paul Bell

Bronze Member

• Members

• 979 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:43 PM

Well you didn't remove the tag so it's still under warranty.....

• Canuck likes this

1971 Monte Carlo SS clone, 496 CID, 600 HP 600 ft lbs, 9 inch rear.
1999 Trans Am. Plenty bolt-ons.
2003 Isuzu Ascender Limited DD

#3 Michael Boyte

Michael Boyte

Bronze Member

• Members

• 648 posts
  • LocationOcean Drive section, North Myrtle Beach SC
  • Legal Name:Michael Boyte

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:12 AM

Be-cool aluminum radiator is a very nice unit.(Hi-end) as nice as you will find anywhere! They are located in Essexville Mi. 800--691-2667 made in North America!!
Griffin also makes a less expensive unit. Both have nice welds
And both have OEM. Replacement.
Mike and Ann Boyte
[url="""]https://imageshack.com/i/m950pdj'>[/url]Posted Image
1972 Monte Carlo

#4 Mike Brichta

Mike Brichta

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationCenter Valley PA 18034

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:33 AM

I purchase this one for my 70 with AC and had no issues or complaints. Bolted right in and cools perfectly. Take the time to read their description as to why theirs is better. I thought it made a lot of sense.

https://www.ebay.com...GlQ8IWJ&vxp=mtr

Good luck!!
Mike

#5 Michael Boyte

Michael Boyte

Bronze Member

• Members

• 648 posts
  • LocationOcean Drive section, North Myrtle Beach SC
  • Legal Name:Michael Boyte

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:27 AM

If you consider ECP make sure that you order the one that they make in house, as they market and sell units made in CHINA
( which is their much less expensive units that they advertise) Always call the manufacturer and ask questions.
( 773-599-3067) Don't just rely on the distributors description
Mike and Ann Boyte
[url="""]https://imageshack.com/i/m950pdj'>[/url]Posted Image
1972 Monte Carlo

#6 Blackhawk

Blackhawk

Advanced Member

• Members

• 82 posts
  • LocationCentral MN
  • Legal Name:Cody M

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:02 PM

I'm using an aluminum radiator from Auto City Classic (though mine is a cross-flow for LS swaps).  My dad has two for 66/67, but only one in a running car.  They fit about as well as any aluminum radiator with the rubber pads.

http://www.autocityc...minum-radiator/

I would check with them about the price, the LS swap version for the same year range is $50 less.  As far as I am aware they are making their radiators in MN.

#7 Rock

Rock

Bronze Member

• Members

• 1,890 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Legal Name:Glen

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:43 PM

I bought the Champion 4 row and it is holding up nicely and I see no issues with the welds. It fit nicely within the support and the transmission lines needed no modifications. I’m sure there are better options but for the cost it’s nice unit.
Posted Image
Nothing special about this Monte. No SS, no rare options just a super sweet car to drive and take me back to the good old days!

#8 orbit

orbit

• Members

• 237 posts
  • Locationnew jersey
  • Legal Name:Joe Bobowski

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:36 PM

I'm gonna get that 4 core Harrison reproduction from the Parts Place

#9 NWmonte71

NWmonte71

• Members

• 111 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, WA

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I was also wondering if the radiators are different among AC & Non-AC cars?  

sml_gallery_5838_288_247210.jpg1971 Monte Carlo, #'s matching 350cid with TH350, Factory "Lime Green" with original "Antique White" painted top.

#10 NWmonte71

NWmonte71

• Members

• 111 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, WA

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:59 PM

If you consider ECP make sure that you order the one that they make in house, as they market and sell units made in CHINA
( which is their much less expensive units that they advertise) Always call the manufacturer and ask questions.
( 773-599-3067) Don't just rely on the distributors description

The ECP radiators sounded very familiar to me............ turns out that I put one of their aluminum radiators in my 1957 Chevy pickup 8 years ago. No issues and I have put a lot of road trips in with that vehicle in hot weather.

#11 overdrive

overdrive

Gold Member

• Members

• 2,881 posts
  • LocationHannibal, MO

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

You can take yours and have it cleaned out. Call a radiator repair shop and you might be money ahead.

Dan
http://www.picturetr...com/57overdrive
70 Monte Carlo SS454 [I'm restoring it now]
71 Monte Carlo 350 [restored]

#12 NWmonte71

NWmonte71

• Members

• 111 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, WA

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:37 PM

I ended up ordering the ECP radiator. My plan is to keep the stock one as a spare. I'll have to contact my local shop and see what kind of money it will take to thoroughly clean it. In the meantime, this will get me back on the road and improve the cooling. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Home Page
Mission|Benefits|Join|Renew|Merchandise
Message Forum
Members' Montes|Meet Photos
Tech Info|Museum|Parts|Registry|Links|Contact Us