Radiator Options (1971 w/AC)

Alright folks, I had to recently drain my radiator for some work I was doing. Once the radiator was drained down, I noticed the cooling tube ends inside were coated with deposits........(not good for cooling). At this point I am seriously thinking about replacing the radiator with a new aluminum unit. I am not concerned with original authenticity, but rather something that fits good, dissipates the heat efficiently, and works with the stock automatic transmission cooler lines. I have heard of several people buying the Champion Radiators and liking them, but also complaining the welds look horrible and quality is questionable. My small block 350 is stock and so is my air conditioning system, so I just need something that works. I like the idea of aluminum because it's lighter and transfers heat better than the old copper/brass stuff. Besides the transmission lines, is there anything else I have to remove/detach in order to pull the radiator? I really do not want to disturb the AC system. 

post-5838-0-12033800-1518577073_thumb.jpg

post-5838-0-02538600-1518577080_thumb.jpg

post-5838-0-58783200-1518577087_thumb.jpg

Be-cool aluminum radiator is a very nice unit.(Hi-end) as nice as you will find anywhere! They are located in Essexville Mi. 800--691-2667 made in North America!!

Griffin also makes a less expensive unit. Both have nice welds

And both have OEM. Replacement.

I purchase this one for my 70 with AC and had no issues or complaints. Bolted right in and cools perfectly. Take the time to read their description as to why theirs is better. I thought it made a lot of sense.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-BEST-1970-1971-1972-1973-1974-Monte-Carlo-Aluminum-Radiator-NO-3-ROW-JUNK/322726215819?fits=Year%3A1970|Model%3AMonte+Carlo&hash=item4b23fb408b:g:IhsAAOxyzGlQ8IWJ&vxp=mtr

Good luck!!

Mike

If you consider ECP make sure that you order the one that they make in house, as they market and sell units made in CHINA

( which is their much less expensive units that they advertise) Always call the manufacturer and ask questions.

( 773-599-3067) Don't just rely on the distributors description

I'm using an aluminum radiator from Auto City Classic (though mine is a cross-flow for LS swaps).  My dad has two for 66/67, but only one in a running car.  They fit about as well as any aluminum radiator with the rubber pads.

http://www.autocityclassic.com/chevelle/monte-carlo/1968-1972-chevelle-aluminum-radiator/

I would check with them about the price, the LS swap version for the same year range is $50 less.  As far as I am aware they are making their radiators in MN.

I bought the Champion 4 row and it is holding up nicely and I see no issues with the welds. It fit nicely within the support and the transmission lines needed no modifications. I’m sure there are better options but for the cost it’s nice unit.

If you consider ECP make sure that you order the one that they make in house, as they market and sell units made in CHINA

( which is their much less expensive units that they advertise) Always call the manufacturer and ask questions.

( 773-599-3067) Don't just rely on the distributors description

The ECP radiators sounded very familiar to me............ turns out that I put one of their aluminum radiators in my 1957 Chevy pickup 8 years ago. No issues and I have put a lot of road trips in with that vehicle in hot weather.

I ended up ordering the ECP radiator. My plan is to keep the stock one as a spare. I'll have to contact my local shop and see what kind of money it will take to thoroughly clean it. In the meantime, this will get me back on the road and improve the cooling.