Add a set of guages?

freddiefokker

I've searched lots of posts about changing over to a factory guage cluster, but I'd like to add a set of mini guages to my '71 without disturbing my factory dash with the idiot lights.

My car is all an all original, low miles piece and I'd like to keep it as original as possible, but I'd like more accurate temp and oil info.

Anyone out there add a set of guages? What's involved? Where'd you hang them?

Thanks, Russ

What are you looking at spending? You can get the factory gauge package for $355 or if you wanted to go cheaper for now the A piller is nice because you do not have to drill holes in your dash to mount a set of gauges.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-71-CHEVELLE-SS-EL-CAMINO-MONTE-TACH-GAUGES-tachometer-temp-fuel-amp-/232624841052?vxp=mtr&hash=item362985615c

I went with A pillar ones for my Monte. Easily visible and easily removed if you want to. I love the look of it

I have seen the pillar gauges Tony ad others have added to their cars and they look very nice.

rob

I hung a set of mini gauges under the ash tray. I got a gauge pod from a site that specializes in BPO gauge pods and the face of the bracket is burlewood.

post-147-0-12895900-1488192253_thumb.jpg
  • Like 2

I mounted a three hole gauge pod (black) also below my ashtray, I used factory screws in that location and am still able to open the ashtray...which I should call my "fuse" tray. I have the slight angle ring on each one so they are more visible to the driver.

I hung a set of mini gauges under the ash tray. I got a gauge pod from a site that specializes in BPO gauge pods and the face of the bracket is burlewood.

That's really nice? What company is it from?

Thanks!

It looks to be some guy making them, I can't find a website, just his email contact.

He's using the optional factory underdash 8-track radio pod that could be ordered on any 68~72 Cutlass. He's adding any wood grain face that's asked for.

http://www.partsclassiccar.com/car-detail/dash-parts/Oldsmobile-1968-1972-Under-dash-8-track-housing_263422975916.html

The pod doesn't appear to be reproduced, I wonder where he gets them from?

I have no idea, but I recall contacting him after browsing different products and selecting the one I eventually purchased. I am very pleased with the quality of the product, and it looks good with my interior. There should be a place where you can browse the different pods he has available. If worst come to worst contact the guy and I bet he will be happy to provide more information.

Tony, I would say that the A-pillar gauges would be the safest to monitor (never look down) And they look very nice as well.

I expect a lot of Monte's have been wrecked looking down. Maybe not looking at their gauges however for that one hard to reach 8-TRACK....

Did any of you guys put some sort of power block or junction box under the dash so you don't have to run so many wires to the fuse panel? I have the Autometer UltraLite II (LED) gauges and they have 2 ground, 2 power, and a sender wire for each.  I am going to run all of the grounds together to a solid ground under there. I am thinking of mounting a power distribution block or something to run all of the power wires to and then just feed that with one wire from the fuse block.  Any thoughts?

Did any of you guys put some sort of power block or junction box under the dash so you don't have to run so many wires to the fuse panel? I have the Autometer UltraLite II (LED) gauges and they have 2 ground, 2 power, and a sender wire for each.  I am going to run all of the grounds together to a solid ground under there. I am thinking of mounting a power distribution block or something to run all of the power wires to and then just feed that with one wire from the fuse block.  Any thoughts?

I installed this Painless kit a while back and anytime I add something it makes it simple...https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-70107/overview/

• 2 weeks later...

Russell the light wires for my gauges tie to each other and then tie to the dash lights. My gauges are water uses its own sending unit, trans temp uses its own sending unit and oil psi which is mechanical. The tach gets its feed off the tach wire for the dash. All 12v wires are tied together and goes to the fuse panel, and grounds are tied together going to one ground point. Yes it might not sound like a wise ideal to tie items together as the cause if one acts up will be hard to find since they all will act up at the same time.