Dash pad-stripped holes

Crank

I used some plastic drywall anchors. They worked pretty well. Someone on this site recommended using them as I recall.

I bought some of those speed nuts that flat slightly arched spring metal that I am going to try and epoxy to the bottom of the pad. Several years ago I used epoxy and then marked and drilled holes for the screw to bite into. It worked OK but now and going to try and do this method. I may end up buying a new pad if this does not work out.

I drill the holes out a little bigger than they are now. Then I fill the holes with J.B. KwikWeld. Walmart sells it the cheapest. Really push it down in there. Sand the top of the hole smooth. Paint the pad the desired color. Install the pad. Mark where the screws will need to go with an awl. Then drill a pilot hole for your screws. Then install the screws into he pad. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone....great ideas!!! Going to be installing the shiftworks gauges and tach as soon as it warms up. All the screws are stripped above the gauges.

• 2 weeks later...

A real quick, temporary solution is to wrap the screw threads with teflon tape to make them a wee bit larger. I've done this multiple times, but now after reading other solutions, I have a new project!

Love this Club, always learning new tricks.

Scott

• 1 month later...

What I did was used black plastic epoxy glue from Home Depot. I filled the stripped holes on the dash pad and once it cured I drilled new holes and it’s been 10 years and I have had the dash pad on and off many times and still works great

• Like 1

All good ideas and all of these ideas will work.  I have used the toothpick trick many times for many different projects auto and non auto related and it works very well.  When doint the toothpick trick I will even use some wood glue with the toothpicks.  I have also used the drywall anchors for both auto and other projects.  I think will all of the different ideas presented here you should have success with any of them and won't need to replace the dash pad unless it cracks.

rob