Distributor what to do.

Schulte425

My 402 needs new points in the distributor. I wanna go away from the old points, I was looking into the PERTRONIX electronic ignition and new coil. But for around the same price I can get a Msd HEI street fire distributor. What would be the best option for reliability and performance?

I have run both the petronix and the msd distributor. Both with great success. It pretty much depends on the look you are going for. The pertronix for a more stock look. Due to using the stock distributor housing. The msd with a hidden 6AL box is almost foolproof. If you are on a budget, the petronix.

From what I read a few months back with quality control issues, I went with Accell at a much less price through Summitt Racing. Any Veterans can ask for a discount, must ask over the phone.

I have run both the petronix and the msd distributor. Both with great success. It pretty much depends on the look you are going for. The pertronix for a more stock look. Due to using the stock distributor housing. The msd with a hidden 6AL box is almost foolproof. If you are on a budget, the petronix.

Thanks for the info. I think I may go with Pertronix for now to save money.

Pertronix is good stuff if you're gonna stay or change to a HEI setup.  If you go to ignition box and distributor, go with the MSD 6 Digital and MSD distributor mechanical advance P/N 85551. Great setup for tuning.  As always,....JM2Cents. - Dave