Temperature gauge light

Need some help in trying to figure out why my temperature light on my 71 Monte comes on once in awhile, and stays on for a few minutes, then goes back to normal.  I have replaced the sensor twice, put in new wiring the last couple of feet away from the sensor.  The car is not heating up and the radiator is always filled.  I have replaced the circuit board wiring in the dash about a year ago, and have replaced all the lights/bulbs at that time.  This just started to occur about a month ago.  When I first start up all the idiot lights come on and then go to normal once the car starts.  This one has me baffled.  There must be some kind of grounding going on, but how do I find it?

Hi Guy, The easiest fix for this issue is to just remove the light bulb..... of course you know I am just kidding.  I think you have hit the nail on the head when you mentioned some kind of grounding issue or wiring issue.  You have already hit most of the high points.  Somewhere along the line it sounds like a ground is being provided to the circuit causing the light to come on.  It will require either tracing the wire all the way from point A to point B.

rob

My though is did you get the right printed circuit board (PCB)? The light coming on when you first start the car sounds right your gen light should also come on and then go off. Also the sensor could be wrong as the idiot lights and the gauge are different. When it’s running the light should be off and only come on when the car gets hot or at the point to overheat. Have you added a small water gauge to see what the temp is?

Everything works find since I put in the new circuit board.  All idiot lights come on when I start up the car like it did when it was new.  I am the original owner.  All the lights go out when the car starts up.  Everything is find, then every once in awhile the light for the temperature comes on for a few minutes then goes out and stays out.  I was not aware there are two different sensors for gauges and idiot lights.  I will do more research and see if I was given the wrong one. The one I have is two male prongs.   I am also in the process of unwrapping the harness and see if I have a short in the harness itself.  Also, could a bad TCS relay cause this problem.  I know somehow the relay plays a part with the temperature gauge.  Can anyone commit on how the TCS relay effects the temperature gauge.  The two wires coming off of the sensor do not seem to be connected to the relay.  Anyone has a comment.