Re-upholstering bucket seat -need help!!

1972mc

I finally made the decision to do my own since to save the $500. I invested in $50 of tools (bent angle hog ring pliers and a stretcher). am recovering 70 seats in for my 72-in dark green vinyl from PUI. The back seat went (or is going OK) Did the bottom and am pretty satisfied after 2 tries. The top back is partially done. It seems to work a little better to leave them in the sun for a while to make them more pliable.

As for the buckets-wow, I finally got the center button out (after calling Leo). He told me that the best way to remove is pry at 3 and 9 Oclock on the button trim. My clips were pretty rusty so I slightly damaged the trim, but will still use it. After removing all the rings and vacuuming out the mouse house-yes he scampered across the garage floor after I carried the seat down from upstairs. I'm glad he did not decide to come out while i was carrying it down the stairs in my bare feet!! I can't even see how to remove the covers without cutting them to pieces. Interesting note on the bottom cover, there are 2 runners that are hog ringed through the bun. The new cover does not have this setup (thankfully)

Any of you guys (or gals) have any words of wisdom on tackling this part of the project??

And on the head rests. DO they sew or glue the seam together on the aftermarket covers?

Carl

I read somewhere that covering the seat foam in plastic helps the cover slip on easier. I never did it and don't remember what kind of plastic even but you get the idea.

Yep you've opened a can of worms. I do that stuff up here in vancouver. and I have had Many, many, many people come in to the shop saying word for word what you did ((I got the back seat ok.but the buckets I don't know what to do?!?)) I think I would have a hard time explaining how to cut off hog rings, replace listing rods etc etc etc If you can get some one to put them on it should be about $200 plus tax for two front seat of the Monte type. Although not all after market covers are created equal and if yours need a lot of modifying eg: listings missing, incorrect finishing seams and so on. it will cost a bit more. the bottom line is don't wreck your new covers trying to install them. Then go to an upholstery shop and ask to fix what has now been damaged it will cost you much more. very sorry to burst your bubble as I know its not rocket science but unless you do it daily it could get messy. Jjs