1972 MC Custom Numbers?

72-CLASSIC_RIDE

Looking good Doug. For any slight changes I also have black bucket seats with console. I also have tilt and power trunk release. I'm seeing most customs were all AC cars. Strange mine was built and lived in California and never had AC!

Don't know if this helps but I had a 1972 Custom that was my first restoration. It's the green one that this site uses as a reference for the Customs in the tech section. I sold the car a long time ago (early 1990's) but I would bet it's still out there someplace.

Code 48 Green/black interior

402 Big block

Bucket seats with console

A/C

Black Vinyl Top

Steve

Just letting everyone know that I included the 72 Custom currently on eBAY.  Not running but likely a candidate.  I made notes on it along with the VIN number included in Auction specisfics.  Based on current numbers, we have 15 documented with a clarification needed on one.

Also an FYI for all to let me know if you come across any going forward.

Doug

Nice job with this project Doug.

Here are my updates:

Exterior: Antique White/Black Vinyl Top

Interior: Black Cloth

Console

Tach

Air Conditioning

Tilt

Stock Condition (except rims)

Aftermarket am/fm/cassette radio

Van Nuys built

Hey all,

I have updated to latest revision #6.  Verify your info and any that are not complete based on the criteria on the spread sheet, please advise.

I have added my notes to this one as a FYI.  Let me know if picture size is an issue.  I'm using PowerPoint and it seems to screw up my pic size.

All have a GREAT day.............. ;)

Doug

post-458-0-94427100-1526175886_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

doug, great work, my custom does not have , pw,pdl,power trunk,tach

but does have tan vinyl top

vinyl bench seat

condition stock

how do i know where it was built,thanks 

Hey Roger,  I have updated your info and will Post newest revision soon.   :coffee2:

You can determine where built by going to FGMCC Home Page, scroll to Resources and Technical Info found on L/H side of Home Page and open.  Scroll to identifying VIN Numbers and open.  The instructions will guide you from there.  Your VIN is stamped just inside front window ledge on driver side if the Build Sheet is not available.  To read it, look into front window from outside and hopefully it is still easily legible.  The 7th digit, letter "L" from my VIN identifies Van Nuys, CA. as the Manufacturing Facility. 

Doug 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a FYI.  I have added 2 more Customs I have found into the data base for a total of (20) 1972 Customs.  Haven't posted new results as of yet as I believe our membership has included all their info making updates at this point periodically updated.

Keep your eyes open and even if you believe I already am aware, please message me so that I can confirm duplication or a new candidate.  I appreciate all your efforts in making this a comprehensive instrument.  ;)

Doug   

• 6 months later...

Hey Folks,

I haven't been on here in several years but saw this post. I sold my custom to a NC local guy on this forum a little over 10 years ago (2006?). I think he still has it? Here is a build sheet and a couple of pictures. My father bought it new, customer order car. At the time I sold, it was an unrestored original, always garaged. 

BuildSheet.jpg

Front PS.jpg

Interior.jpg

Hi David and appreciate your input. :2beers:  I have documented your info into my spreadsheet & will provide an updated Rev. 6 copy as soon as I have completed the updated format and Post on this Thread.  I have 28 documented including Mike Brichta's 72 Custom & identified as Totaled vehicle.  Once certain this vehicle is parted, I will remove from spreadsheet.  I encourage others to offer any info you come across pertaining to this specific year and type.  Getting the VIN Number is a real bonus.

Thanx again David.................:)

Doug

Okay guys, finally updated Spreadsheet as a Revision #6 that is the most current.  I hope a little easier to follow as I had cleaned it up some with probably future changes as they arise.  Anyway, here we are today with (28) identified including Mike Brichta's.  Will remove from Spreadsheet once determined it has been decommissioned.

Good/bad feedback & suggestions always appreciated.......................:2beers:

Doug

1972 CUSTOM REV. 6.jpg

'm a little late to the party, but my 72 Custom is a W code. have part of the build sheet left, but it was fairly well loaded with options from what is left. I am currently putting back together with parts from my plain 72.

Appreciate the info Kris.  Do you have the VIN that I can use as an identifier on my Spreadsheet.  It helps me track them and prevent duplication's.  Based on the criteria on the Spreadsheet, can you provide those amenities for me as part of your Cars description?  Is it a 402 CI or a 454 CI also?  PM me or email me at camerondl@q.com if you prefer to limit information in reply.

Doug

• 1 month later...

Trying something different here to download onto FGMCC site.  This is a Excel File Format and if you can open it, is the latest known population numbers that I have.  Let me know if you have problems opening it.

1972 CUSTOM NUMBERS REV. 7.xlsx

Doug

22 hours ago, willie said:

Hey Doug, it will not open for me, but I am not sure if I have excel on this comp.

I figured without Excel on your PC, opening it would be difficult.  I will create a picture of it so most if not all will be able to view it.  ***News At Eleven****:doh:

Doug