Overdrive

7tonemonte

Looking at putting together a package for my car, probably going to be next year at this point, but who has put a 200 4/r into their car, and what company did you use?

Monster, Bow tie over drives, TCI? Any others I haven't seen yet?

Have plans In the works for a motor also, I want to do it all in one shot, and I'm kinda set on doing overdrive. Open to suggestions

• Like 1

Tony my 70 and my dads nomad has Bowtie stage 2 700r4 with their 2200 stall. My 70’s was built for the 2.73 gears but I do have a factory 3 series gear out in the garage.

Used to Moster trans you could watch them build your transmission not sure they still have that.

• Like 1

My 200 4/r was from California transmission, but they are out of business or so I hear. I recently had a local guy convert it to a lock up configuration with a 2200 stall converter. It took years but I am finally happy with my set up.

Are you going to change the rear gears as well? If so, what ratio are you looking at doing? I opted for the 3.73, but looking back would have been much happier with the 3.55's I wanted to get but I let Art Carr the idiot talk me out of them.

• Like 1

Hey Jim! You were the one person I was thinking of because I remember talking to you in Carlisle about your setup.

I am looking to do the lock up also, and was thinking the 3.55 range. I may leave the 3.08 in it for a while just to see how it feels, and I may run out of money! Lol

• Like 1

Tony, I think you will be happy with the 3.55 set up if you can afford it, but also may be happy with the 3.08's for driveability as well. As you may recall I was more interested in gas mileage and traveling at todays interstate speeds, so in hindsight I would recommend the 3.55's if you want to drive the car like I do and think the 3.08's may be better. It isn't a race car to me.

For the lock up I tried several different set ups to make it lock without a computer. I tried mechanical, vacuum, and a rig that took a sample from my speedo, to try to avoid having to install a button to lock the trans. I settled on a rig with a control box and dial you can set what speed you want the converter to lock at, which works very well so long as I am not running the air conditioning. Luckily for me the box has a button on it I can select lock up manually. I guess what I am saying is after trying everything to avoid a button, I am happiest with just pushing a button to lock the trans. Something to consider.

• Like 1