I have another wiring question - Trans solenoid

1970mcss

I have another wiring question. I was under the car changing oil and noticed the harness on the transmission solenoid has an extra wire. The one thats unpluged is black with a purple stripe. The harness that's plugged looks like it's orange. Any ideas?

post-6465-0-24627200-1522194818_thumb.jpg

Paul, 

I suspect the wire that is unplugged goes to the TCS Relay to indicate if the transmission is in high gear.  Most TCS systems have long since been disabled so you would never know if that wire was plugged into the transmission or not.  I have no idea what is plugged there in it's place.  I searched my wiring diagrams for quite awhile and never could find the TCS connection to the transmission.

Assuming that's a TH400 transmission, it should have one terminal for the kickdown and another for the TCS system.

What you have hanging down is a mystery. Did you follow it to see where it goes?

There doesn't seem to be any diagrams of the wiring to the transmission.

In the engine wiring diagram, there's one 20 gauge black wire to the TCS solenoid-then it disappears at the fire wall. I suspect this is the second wire on the plug at the transmission.

post-201-0-37880500-1522460922_thumb.jpg

This is the TH400 harness. I know the orange wire is for the kickdown, the loose end goes to the kickdown switch hit by the gas pedal arm.

The tan wire I believe somehow mates with the black wire I noted above.

At the transmission plug, the vertical spade should be for the kick down, the horizontal spade should be for the TCS system.

post-201-0-56190900-1522462120_thumb.jpg