Under hood light mounting

Can someone tell me where the underhood light is mounted. Maybe a picture? The car was built with one but I don't see any holes. I think I have found the wire, I believe its got a brown stripe on it but if someone could confirm. Thanks

I purchased a light from the Chevy dealership and added it back in 1971. I thought the two holes were already there, on the driver side, close to the rear of the hood. The wire hooked up the the horn relay, I believe. Mine got all rusty so I removed it years ago.

Paul,

Sorry I don't have a close up but you can see the stock location of the under hood light in the photo below.  It is on the driver's side just forward of the vent slots and attached to the lip of the under hood structure with two screws. 

post-567-0-92790500-1523068699_thumb.jpg

When I installed the hood, trunk and courtesy lights in my other '70, I found two dimples in the spot where the light was to be mounted at the factory.  I ran a separate wire to the horn relay by put a weather-shielded bayonet connector in-line about eight inches below the light.  Because that light turns on with a built-in mercury switch, it will stay on whenever the hood is open.  Since I didn't want it on during car shows when the hood was open, I temporarily unplug it at the bayonet connector.

BTW, the factory wiring harness also has an in-line connector (I assume for the same purpose) for that light but it is located where the harness runs on top of the driver's inner fender.  It took me awhile to find in on my SS but it's there.

Thanks Dennis, I see a bayonet connector by the distributor. Does the wire from the light get clippedto anything or just hang there?

Paul,

The hood light wire on my '70 SS disconnects right over the humped portion of the driver's inner fender so there is no loose wire hanging from the light itself.  I believe that is the stock wiring harness configuration.

The hood light on my '70 4-speed was added by me and I put the bayonet connector just below the light so it would be easy to disconnect and re-connect at car shows.  So, yes, it does just hang there as I didn't create a holder or parking spot for it (see photos below).

post-567-0-34063600-1523150788_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-12332500-1523150812_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-08893000-1523150830_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-79687600-1523150845_thumb.jpg