Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
Sign in to follow this  
jays55

Installing Center Caps on Repro Rallye Wheels

Anyone have a trick for mounting stock Rallye Center Caps on reproduction rallye wheels?  The repro wheels have 3 "humps" spaced equally around the rim.  The original wheels have 2 offset to one side and the third across from them.  My Center caps will not "pop" onto the rims.  When force is used, the mounting flanges on the caps are collapsing in , but will not hold the caps on.

Tips & tricks appreciated!

Could it be possible that you need repro caps?

I have two originals and two repros.  The originals will go on, but do not fit flush.  The repros are the ones that the flanges are collapsing on.....

The repro wheels have 3 "humps" spaced equally around the rim.  The original wheels have 2 offset to one side and the third across from them. 

Are you sure about that?  My original 'YH' rallies on my car have three "humps".

He stated 3 on each, but the location of them is different. I have both types of wheels, so I'll check.

Dan

He stated 3 on each, but the location of them is different. I have both types of wheels, so I'll check.

Dan

Yep misread that...sorry

Mine are as Jay had stated.  Stock Rally Wheels and GM Rally Caps.  It was important that I fit the Rally Center Cap onto the 2 humps and then using the third hump to tap Cap onto wheel.  Possibly a variation of this might help by trying different starting and finishing points.  I was unclear if Aftermarket Caps fit on original GM Rally Wheels or act the same when installing on Aftermarket Rally Wheels & visa versa with original caps and Aftermarket wheels.  If that fails, I would believe the Aftermarket Rally Wheels (if designed to support stock GM Rally Caps) may be the problem.  

I'm assuming those Caps hadn't been on the wheels before?

How you doing Jay?  Going to see you at the Dalles this year?

Doug 

I took 3 of my GM centers off my aftermarket wheels yesterday. My wheels also have the humps equally spaced. I put them back on today, and I used a rubber mallet. They fit tight, but they go on right.

Dan