Paint Chip Repairs

Hey all, I am in the process of repairing paint chips and looking for some suggestions on best practices.  I was given the okay to try experimenting on a white 65 Chev Belair with mixed results.

Firstly, this is my 1st attempt to do this myself.  I am using extra paint that was left over and given to me when all the Jams were painted among other painting needs.  I believe it is a single stage enamel paint that is now at least 5 years old and has thickened some over time.  I tried using it but when sanding does not seem to fill in around the damaged edges.  When sanding and blending it leaves that border with a dark like witness around edges suggesting the paint did not flow out into the edges.  I am just getting my feet wet attempting this and am getting ready for my 3rd attempt on the area I am having problems with.  I have read and watched the tutorials and basic knowledge of what to use.  2 repairs done on rear passenger quarter panel turned out pretty well but still, paint doesn't seem to be filling in around all the edges even at these small repairs.  Once I have perfected my expertise on my Brothers car, I plan to start working on mine once I perfect my technique.  I told my Brother as long as he has a NOS Front Driver side Fender and Passenger Rear Quarter, he can get it back into shape should I fail miserable............ :k    

What type of thinner would be correct for a enamel based paint?  What about Reducer?  I am told it takes a long time for the paint to dry without some sort of hardener added.  Again, paint was left over from other painting wants in a couple small bottles.  So that is what I am really after is how/what should I do to deal with the Paint consistency.

My Paint/Body guy died a few years back and I am left to my own devices now......................... I could leave it to a expert but I want to see how I do................................. No pics until I start on my car......................

Doug

If it is an acrylic enamel you need an acrylic enamel reducer(thinner). A little goes a long way. Any touch up is going to show but apply thin coats and build it up to the other paint then lightly sand it flush and then buff it. This is the method I have used and it does show at certain angles but looks better than the chip.

If it is an acrylic enamel you need an acrylic enamel reducer(thinner). A little goes a long way. Any touch up is going to show but apply thin coats and build it up to the other paint then lightly sand it flush and then buff it. This is the method I have used and it does show at certain angles but looks better than the chip.

Thanx Larry.  I am not sure what the consistency of the paint should be.  What I have in the bottles are at least 5 years old  I bought some universal thinner and it blended well to thin out one of the small bottles I have purposely left the other thicker in case I need to adjust the thinned paint.  I am experimenting and think I will need to reduce more as when applied, leaves a somewhat rough surface.  Shouldn't I expect to see the paint lay flat when applied if at right consistency?  Not getting much help from the paint store supplier.  I think they don't want to do or say anything that may make them liable.

Because I have no reference other than reading material, it doesn't explain well enough how to know when paint is at optimum consistency.

Doug 

Usually the paint should lay flat but if there is any wax or other foreign material it might raise up. You can use rubbing alcohol to clean before any paint is applied that usually helps