cloth or vinyl??

OK, so my data plate clearly shows my car was made with cloth bucket seats.....we are planning on putting the buckets back in next Spring.

As it is a real 71SS I hate to do anything to deter from its original creation. BUT...I keep wondering how bad would it be to change the seats from cloth to vinyl? Ya think it is sacrilegious or OK to do it? How many people would look at the data plate & KNOW that it should be cloth? Would it take that much (or anything) away from its value?

Side note: Are all 71 have side mounted or top mounted batteries?

capri is it black cloth? if u r thinkin of goin to vinyl u might not want them in black unless u r goin to use seat covers. the 70 chevlle my dad had had pearl vinyl and u could burn urself after the car was parked in the sun. i would stick to the cloth since this is a much cooler(temp wise) seat.

yah, my interior is all black - hhmm, didn't think of the heat/BURN your legs factor. Something else to think about....

I like the vinyl myself. I don't think that would hurt originality, it's not like you are changing to something that was not an option on that year Monte Carlo. I also get the feeling you will be keeping the car for a long time (I know I would).

I got cloth and wouldnt change to vinyl at all, its the burn factor Capri!! I am sure the sandlewood vinyl would clean up easier, and been cheaper, but cloth is so nice on the legs!!!!

I say go VINYL!!!

My opinion if I were going to buy your car if the seats were cloth, it would decrease my offer on buying the car.

On the otherhand the seats being all vinyl and that stuff shining and hurting my eyes in the sunlight, then I would give several thousand dollars more for your car. smile

On a case like this its just like "rare don't make it worth more", well cloth don't make it worth more. And after several years that cloth likes to wear out.

One more thing is you will have to bear burning your legs on the seats, and women's shorts can tend to be shorter than mens...

That is why my shirt gets soaked on the back in the summer time riding on my dark green vinyl bucket seat. Dang does that vinyl draw heat... Sweat...Sweat...Sweat..

There is still plenty of black NOS cloth around. I'd stay with cloth for both the burn factor and the originality. If your car is garage kept and your windows are tinted you will get another 36 years of service out of new black seat cloth. Viynl seat cars are a dime a dozen, but cloth buckets are unique. Just my two cents.