Voltage regulator

lowcadillac

Hi, it’s Tony again from the UK. I’m trying to work out why when I increase the revs on my car the under seat sub woofer that I’ve installed seems to cut out. Went out for a test drive with the other half yesterday and got her to hold the volt meter and test the wiring and it seems the faster I get the higher the voltage goes, it went up to 16 volts so I think that’s overloading the amp.

Strangely when the cars idling all is well with the voltage but the interior lights flicker.

Thought it may be the voltage regulator but can’t seem to find it,although there are two metal relay type boxes towards the bulkhead but neither look quite like the ones listed for sale on websites like Rockauto.

Could someone have changed the alternator to one with an internal voltage regulator,after all it does have an HEI distributor which isn’t standard on a 70 I believe?

Any ideas what I could look for or test to solve my problem as at the moment I’m drawing a blank?

The regulator is on the radiator support on the drivers side. If you have an internally regulated alternator Dothan the VR should be bypassed.

Hi, it’s Tony again from the UK. I’m trying to work out why when I increase the revs on my car the under seat sub woofer that I’ve installed seems to cut out. Went out for a test drive with the other half yesterday and got her to hold the volt meter and test the wiring and it seems the faster I get the higher the voltage goes, it went up to 16 volts so I think that’s overloading the amp.

Strangely when the cars idling all is well with the voltage but the interior lights flicker.

Thought it may be the voltage regulator but can’t seem to find it,although there are two metal relay type boxes towards the bulkhead but neither look quite like the ones listed for sale on websites like Rockauto.

Could someone have changed the alternator to one with an internal voltage regulator,after all it does have an HEI distributor which isn’t standard on a 70 I believe?

Any ideas what I could look for or test to solve my problem as at the moment I’m drawing a blank?

How many wires do you have at the alternator other than the large charging wire?  If there are small wires on a connector follow them to wherever they go, they should lead to the voltage regulator if there is one.

• 3 weeks later...

Well turns out I’ve still got the external voltage regulator,never thought of looking on the radiator support for it,so I’ve ordered a solid state regulator to see if that solves my problem. It’s coming all he way from Baldwin Park California and is actually in the UK now so should be able to fit it soon and see if there’s any difference. My battery and hei distributor will be relieved.

It’s strange because the regulator currently on the car looks quite new,maybe it just needs adjustment,but still interested to try a solid state one anyway.

I’ll post the results

Probably too late, but here is the regulator on my 71.

post-76-0-09884100-1525910389_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-95336000-1525910415_thumb.jpg

The small "relay looking thing" on the right of the pictures, is the horn relay for my 71.

Ok fitted it and it’s now charging at about 14.4 volts but I’ve now got no ignition light except just before the starter kicks in where the light flickers and then stays out when the engine starts. If you hold the key in the start position it comes on but not if you just turn the key to ignition.

Has any one experienced this before as I’m drawing a blank. It’s a bit of a pain but I might have to order another one from the US to compare it