Power window harness questions

sredmyer

I have both a power window and power lock systems that I bought "complete" at a swap meet years ago and am just now getting to doing something with them.  I am currently working on the window harnesses and have it pretty much figured out but there are a couple of wires that I am not sure of. 

What I have figured out thus far is there are three separate harnesses.

1. Driver door/main harness
  2. Passenger door harness
  3. Rear harness

The wires that I am unclear on are on the Driver door/main harness there is an orange/black wire which I have determined plugs into the fuse box to provide power to the hole setup.  There is also a pink wire run with that orange/black wire.  I have no idea where this pink wire goes.  Next on the rear harness, is an orange/black wire that is tied to the main harness orange/black (meaning it is power from the fuse box) but no idea what it is supposed to connect to it to get power?

The first picture below shows the pink wire on the driver door/main harness.

The second shows the orange/black wire on the rear harness.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what these two wires are for and where they connect.

post-4732-0-13426900-1526157295_thumb.jpg

post-4732-0-74545100-1526157308_thumb.jpg

Steve,

I installed both factory power windows and door locks on my '70 4-speed so I have some experience and lots of photos.  The pink wire (shown as Red/White on the wiring diagram) is the trigger wire for your power window relay so it plugs into the IGN port of the fuse panel.  That way the windows only operate when the ignition is on (whether the engine is running or not).

I'm heading out to dinner so I'll send you more answers later.  This is a relatively ambitious project, IMO.

Steve,

I installed both factory power windows and door locks on my '70 4-speed so I have some experience and lots of photos.  The pink wire (shown as Red/White on the wiring diagram) is the trigger wire for your power window relay so it plugs into the IGN port of the fuse panel.  That way the windows only operate when the ignition is on (whether the engine is running or not).

I'm heading out to dinner so I'll send you more answers later.  This is a relatively ambitious project, IMO.

Thanks Dennis.  I thought I remembered you telling me you had done this before. 

I didn't realize you had also done the locks, I have a question about that harness too. 

Both the drivers side harness and the passenger side harness have an odd looking plug with a yellow and orange wire going to it see attached picture. 

It looks like it probably goes to the plunger switch in the door jamb but I can't imagine why the power locks would need such a connection. 

Any idea what those wires are for?

post-4732-0-94959200-1526165419_thumb.jpg

Steve,

From your first post, the Orange/Black wire goes to the "Seat Feed" (see wiring diagram in thumbnail photo below) and is unused unless you have a power seat.  As you know, the rear harness plugs into the front left harness and get its power that way.

From your second post, the Yellow and Orange wire pair plugs into another harness but only if you have the relatively rare power seat back release option.  I have power seat back releases on both of my '70s but they are not factory.  I worked with Tom Pelchat at  Klassic Keyless to develop his system which is less expensive and more reliable than the factory system.  I love never having to manually release a seat back to get into the back seat or let someone else in.

I have attached photos of two pages from the 1970 Monte Carlo Wiring Diagram Manual.  I can send you all 14 pages of the manual if you need them.

post-567-0-37135100-1526169334_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-38250400-1526169365_thumb.jpg

BTW which Monte are you planning to install these systems on?  Let me know when you are ready to start as there are some major tips and techniques.  Also, I strongly suggest that you refurbish all of the switches and regulators before you install anything - it will make a world of difference in the operation of everything once installed. 

post-567-0-57648400-1526169922_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-77864700-1526169959_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-34414200-1526169979_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-36838000-1526170006_thumb.jpg

Dennis,

I am doing this to the gold (soon to be silver) one. 

I figured since the doors are coming off for the paint & body work, might as well do these to things at the same time. 

I thought that might be what the small connectors on the door lock harness might be for.  I think they actually go to the door plunger that activates the seat back releases.  I will also be installing those as well as a 4-way power drivers seat.  As I say, I hope to get all this done while the car is apart for painting.

Thanks for the diagrams, I actually have that manual but I loaned it out and have not gotten it back yet.

Steve