Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
Sign in to follow this  
Palmbchmonte

4 speeds bars

Does your 70 Monte with 400 auto transmission have 4 speed bars?. Mine does. I thought they only came on manual transmission cars ??

Hi! All 70-72 Monte Carlos came with those regardless of the power train options

:dt

All of my SS cars have that but my donor car (non SS) does not. 

The SS cars obviously have the F41 suspension package while the non-SS car does not.

:dt

All of my SS cars have that but my donor car (non SS) does not. 

The SS cars obviously have the F41 suspension package while the non-SS car does not.

Mine is not an SS.

It is a big block automatic.

That is why I was interested in what cars had them installed. 

Mine is not an SS.

It is a big block automatic.

That is why I was interested in what cars had them installed. 

Does your '70 have the factory rear anti-sway bar and boxed lower control arms that came with the F41 performance suspension option?  While RPO F41 was included in all '70 & '71 SS454s (RPO Z20) and '72 Customs (RPO Z03) it was also an available option on all other models for all years.  Do you have a Build Sheet for your '70?

Every 70-72 Monte I have ever had or parted out has had the arms. Over 50+ of them. From no option small block, 10 bolt rear to big block cars. Idk. Maybe it's a northeast thing. Lolol

No it does not have the box lower control arms nor does it have the sway bar. And yes I pulled 3 build sheets.. one out of the back seat one under the front seat and what I believe to be the real one on top of the gas tank unfortunately it was not very legible. So I can't really tell if in fact it was the real one. But no big deal I just thought they only came on the SS or a 4-speed.

The existing 12-bolt rear ends coming out anyway for something that can handle a little more horsepower. I don't want to run C clips either.

I have found them on 10 bolt 350 2 barrel cars also. Non F41 optioned cars had them.

Palmbchmonte, if we had Chevelle's, yes. Only the SS or a Chevelle with the F41 suspension would have those bars. Same with the Buicks, Pontiacs, and Oldsmobiles.

But for whatever reason, all, I'm sure some may debate,Monte's that I have found have the bars.

I've parted out my share of Monte's, they've all had them. Big blocks, small blocks, F41 suspension or not. 

Steve

I believe they all had them.  They were installed to stiffen the chassis a bit.  Aftermarket suspension companies like Hotchkis, UMI, Global West, Spohn etc.  all make sturdier versions to replace these to stiffen the frame for better handling.

Dan

Dan

I am going through all my options now with a Spohn package for a Moser 12B and all the goodies.

Fully adjustable arms to allow preload and to center the car.

Approx $ 7,000 complete with Strange LW drag discs, CM driveshaft...everything needed to try and put a saddle on all those horses ( actually more worried about torque )

Just sent you a PM.  Good luck.  Do your homework before pulling the trigger. Its a lot of money, and you want to make sure you spend it wisely.

Dan