Console Install

MikeParker

Hi - and thanks for adding me to the club.   I have a 1970 - originally a bench car, but I am changing over to buckets. The interior of the car is currently down to the floor.  My question is does anyone have the .pdf that shows how to install the console.  I *think* it was an old article for a chevelle.  It shows step-by-step where to put the hole in the floor for the shifter cable, where to mount everything.  Much appreciated!

Hi - and thanks for adding me to the club. I have a 1970 - originally a bench car, but I am changing over to buckets. The interior of the car is currently down to the floor. My question is does anyone have the .pdf that shows how to install the console. I *think* it was an old article for a chevelle. It shows step-by-step where to put the hole in the floor for the shifter cable, where to mount everything. Much appreciated!

Try this it might help some.

http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/buckconsole.htm

Mike,

How rude of me not to welcome you aboard first. Welcome aboard nice to have another gearhead amongst us. That Chevelle install PDF much more detailed with lots of pictures. I went ahead and saved it myself.

Welcome to the boards! Being that you are down to the sheet metal.....almost everything is already "dimpled" for you. If you check the floor carefully you'll see that the places to drill are already there by a series of "dimples" in the floor. This way as the car came down the line, line workers didn't have to think about where to drill. The only ones missing are the ones for the rear mount because that was welded in.

The link given above gives you the measurement for the rear mount but I would suggest drilling and mounting the console to the floor (using the dimples) and then marking the floor for the rear mount using the mount itself.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

For an automatic there is a smooth round place on the floorboard as the floorboard goes up the hump you can feel it and that's where the hole goes for the shifter cable