Fuel sending unit

dejh22

I know this has been discussed before and I want to see if anyone has had the same problem. I had a problem with my fuel gauge reading over full. Last fall I installed a new fuel sending unit and all seemed to be ok after adding about 5 gallons and the gauge showed about a 1/4 tank. 

This spring I went up to the gas station and filled it up. The gauge only showed about a half a tank.

So now I'm wondering if the new gauge is faulty or maybe it is hanging up and not able to register full?

I went out this afternoon and emptied the gas tank.  I'm sure I did not get it all but most of it. Checked the gas gauge and it showed about a 1/4 tank past empty. So I'm guessing something is up with the float. 

Sounds like the float needs adjusted. I have a similar problem on my 72 but when my gauge reads 1/4 of a tank I half better start looking for a gas station. I ran out of gas in Norwalk OH at the Eastern Meet a couple of years ago . Luckily I was very near a Harley dealer just down the road from the host hotel and he about half way filled the tank at no charge. I should have went and bought them a case of beer but was not sure how that would have went over in a business.

• Like 1

I had the same issue. Ended up being the 90 ohm capacitor that's mounted to the back of the fuel gauge. Yeah, you gotta pull the dash which is a bummer. There's a guy on eBay that sells those 90 ohm capacitors if that's what it turns out to be.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-AC-DELCO-Gauge-Shunt-Calibration-Resistor-Dark-Green-/192510311607

• Like 1

I had the same issue. Ended up being the 90 ohm capacitor that's mounted to the back of the fuel gauge. Yeah, you gotta pull the dash which is a bummer. There's a guy on eBay that sells those 90 ohm capacitors if that's what it turns out to be.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-AC-DELCO-Gauge-Shunt-Calibration-Resistor-Dark-Green-/192510311607

Thanks for the info. I tested the gauge with the method of grounding the brown hot wire that went to the sending unit. It did as described it would do if the gauge was good. Could it still have a bad capacitor?

Just went back and re-read where you said you drained the tank and it still shows a qtr tank full. My guess would be the float arm is hanging as well.

Mine was reading a qtr tank when I had it full of gas and would eventually go to empty when the tank was actually empty.