How would you do it?

ripleydale

I’d like to sort out the bottom of my car and get it painted before I hand it off for someone else to do the body and paint. Not a lot of rust but a few holes. The brace bit on the wheel well and then the little mess at the bottom of the fender. Cut it out, make little patches? For those of you with experience, what do you think?

post-307-0-90178600-1527604493_thumb.jpeg

post-307-0-19809900-1527604508_thumb.jpeg

post-307-0-32155800-1527604527_thumb.jpeg

post-307-0-76436400-1527604542_thumb.jpeg

Take a good look at the rest of the wheel well. I had the same problem on my 72 had to replace a lot of the area around the brace (once i ground down the area i put a flash light from underneath ) and it looked like i was looking at the pretty stars in the night sky with all the pin holes it had LOL. I also had to replace the brace. I did fix it but looking back on it now i would have replaced the whole wheel tub. I hope yours is   better than what i found good luck.

The small pinhole spots, can be filled with a mig welder. If the metal is weak the mig will blow that bad metal away so your fill may get a bit bigger but then you can grind it down. Any spot bigger than that your best bet is to make a patch. Lastly, chemically treat the area before any type of body/paint work.

Steve