1970 Monte Carlo ignition cylinder problem!

ChevyALC

I have a 1970 monte carlo and i bought it without any keys. Therefore i had to buy a new ignition and lock set. Everything including the glove box went smoothly with the new key cylinder installs. However, the ignition cylinder will only turn to lock and back to acessory. It will not push forward past lock to start the car. Its a brand new ignition cylinder, i’ve had it in park, neutral held the brake down, i’ve tried everything and can’t figure it out. I have the steering column tore down to where i could remove the ignition cylinder. I’ve removed and reinstalled the ignition cylinder over and over and it turns fine with the key once i remove it from the ignition housing. Can anyone help? I’ve heard it could be due to the ignition switch or activator rod under the steering column. Its a tilt steering column by the way.

Are you putting the ignition switch back in the correct way? I’m trying to remember if the switch comes out in the run/start mode or in the off position. Have you removed the nss switch on the column? That might need to be adjusted. It slides on the column once two screws are unlosen.

I'd first undo the activator rod out of the way since that's the link between the switch and the lock cylinder and key. I didn't quite read far enough into your post..will the lock cylinder move in the housing without the rod?

• Like 1

Try rotating the collar on the column counter clock wise and try to rotate the key again. As stated above, you could also try removing the actual ignition switch from the column to see if the rod will have a full range of motion when turning the key to the different positions.  I had this same problem many years ago. I just can not remember exactly what it was, but I remember me saying to myself, silly me. It was something very simple that I was doing wrong. If I remember correctly it was that the arm on the end of the column was in the wrong position. To correct that rotate the collar on the column counter clockwise. Is the column out of the car? Could you have a non tilt ignition switch? They are different than what is used on a tilt column. When I say ignition switch, I do not mean lock cylinder. One time I had a problem with the pin that locks into the lock ring to lock the steering wheel in place. I think the problem there was that is was rusted in place and was not able to move in and out. Not sure if that was part of the problem that I had that was similar to the problem like you are having, but it did cause some issue for me.

• Like 1

All good ideas!! I would try rotating the column first, it's position has a lot to do if the key is going to turn or not and then check the rod by removing it from the switch at the bottom of the column.

Steve

• Like 1