Rear Main Seal

dejh22

Well I couldn't take it any longer. The rear main seal started leaking more so I decided to replace it. Last fall I was convinced it was the oil pan gasket. I wish I would have replaced the rear main at the same time. The seal on the bottom looks to be the problem it is a little long on one side. The seal on the top was flush with the block. I would of thought my guy would of caught this. This was the first time I had him do the short block. I just need to clean everything and wait for the new seals to show up. post-4433-0-61445400-1528495619_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Typically, guys install them with each half rotated a little, so the parting lines of the seals aren't flush with the surfaces of the block and the bearing cap.

It can be tough to get a great seal.

Dan

• Like 1

Typically, guys install them with each half rotated a little, so the parting lines of the seals aren't flush with the surfaces of the block and the bearing cap.

It can be tough to get a great seal.

Dan

I went ahead and just lined them up. I did add just a little rtv. Went back together good and doesn't leak anymore. I now have to figure out why it smokes a little and the oil smells like fuel. I have been in touch with my machinist and he trying to help me figure out what could be going on.  Oh plus I noticed the water pump is leaking.