Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
amsterdam84

Finally installing my...

Viking Performance coilover kit.

Been over a year since buying the kit and since have moved to a larger property with a 40x50 shop. Room to breathe! Only stripped the shocks and coils out so far. Hope to do more.

The fun begins when you try and fish them bolts over the rear shock brace I had to shut the garage door so the neighbors couldn’t hear all the adjectives that would come out of mouth

I have the tendency to make my projects more difficult. I just replaced the old KYB rear shocks with Bilstein shocks. (I'm using Viking coil-overs in the front)

I wanted to replace the cheap 50 year old 5/16" bolts with some ARP 12 point 3/8" bolts I had kicking around.

Laying on the floor, working around 3" tail pipes, I had to drill the chassis holes bigger. The ARP bolts I had were too long so I had to poke them UP through the shock and catch a washer and nut above. Of course, they're prevailing torque nuts so they were difficult to turn for their entire length

I'm my own worst enemy.

I found removing the old bolts easy by they may be short compared with the ones in the kit. Haven't opened the boxes yet.

I can only imagine the frustration of having to install the bolt the other way blind while holding a bracket.

Currently I'm struggling with a frozen lower arm bolt. I think it's seized to the sleeve inside the rubber. Muffler is in the way so I can't hit it directly so I'm using a punch from the side. If I had an air chisel I think it would make short work of it but I don't have one. Other options are cutting the bolt and replacing it or removing the muffler to hit it directly with a bfh.

After fighting with a lower control arm bolt that was rusted to the sleeve of the arm, it is free and I can move on with my install. That took way too long to get done.

Here's everything that comes with the full kit. I opted to get the wrenches as well. I also bought another set of front springs for the 454 eventually. Currently running a 350 still.

post-396-0-31209900-1534293893_thumb.jpg

post-396-0-79816300-1534293954_thumb.jpg

post-396-0-01032800-1534294014_thumb.jpg

post-396-0-83185600-1534294068_thumb.jpg

For the rears you will need a 5/8 drill bit for the lower shock mount to clean out the paint. I had to do it to mine to get the bolt through.