Quarter Panel Repair

MonteMack

Hey guys I know ive been very innactive the past few months, lifes been rough n busy recently but anyways I just found a pair of quarter skins for 200 each locally but unfortunately theyre thinner steel than original, was just wondering if any of you guys have successfully repaired your quarters using these skins? Or if im better off holding out for AMD. CHEERS AND GET THOSE MONTES OUT ON THE ROAD ITS SUMMERTIME

Hi MonteMack! Where is local? Lol I have used both types of panels successfully. Depends on how much you wish to repair. For a full quarter, AMD all the way. If you are using the skins to cut up and do spot repairs then the skins. I have used the full skins. Just more body work to do. As opposed to more initial work for the full AMD quarters but less actual bodywork. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply MC, thats actually exactly the info I was looking for. Now do skins do well for wheel well rott? That's mostly what im dealing with in my quarters, just rotten under the wheel well lip on both sides with a rust hole or two. Cheers

For rot on the outer "skin" panel, yes. For rot on the outer wheelwell, no. You could weld a piece to it or replace the outer well. We just did both ways to my brothers 72. One side we cut out the rot and added pieces the other we replaced the whole outer wkeelwell, which we feel was quicker and easier. Another option is to purchase an outer well and cut it up for what you need. When I say outer wheelwell, I'm referring to the outer part of the fender well. Between the quarter panel and inner wheelwell that attaches to the trunk area. Lolol (just in case)

Alright its hard to tell if I need to replace the wheel housing aswell, im gonna take some pictures when I get home and throw them up on imgur, then you can let me know what you think if Thats cool, big price diff in amd full quarters (850$) compared to the 200$ skins. Thanks for all the wise words!

Not sure if the sand etc stuck in between the outer well and quarter panel has rusted it out yet but here's a few pics. All the rust is along the bottom besides the couple holes into the trunk

From the looks of the pics, I would say that I would buy the outer skins and just patch where needed. Unless the inner fenderwell lip is totally rotted where it meets the outer panel, I would use the unused portions of the quarter skin to patch the fenderwell also. Just my opinion by what I can see in the pics.

Alright thanks for your advice, by fenderwell do u mean wheel well? Same difference im sure, the top of the fender lips are solid i had to grind them to fit my 275 tires, but down near the side trim its quite rotten. Not to mention the rear window corners have rust holes which maybe have been fixable with a full quarter? But anyways thanks for the input. Truly do appreciate it. Cheers

Yes. Fenderwell and wheelwell were meant as the same. There is a company that makes the rear window channel and plates where you are describing is rotted by the back window corners.they are made for a Chevelle buy with slight "flattening out" they work with our Montes.

Ya ive seen those channel pieces definitely gnna need to order some, but one bottom corner of my rear window has accumulated a nickel sized hole right where the vinyl top ends, not sure if a full amd quarter would replace that sail panel area kinda.

On the quarter itself or the panel between the quarters, rear window and trunk? Again I would use a piece of the quarter skins to make a patch

Depending how bad it is. Looks like once you dig into it it may be a can of worms. Lol. Most likely the "Chevelle" repair panel is what you will use depending on if the window channel is rotted or not and of course how your fabricating skills are.

I think the first thing you are going to need to do is remove the vinyl top and determine exactly how bad your rust is.  This may also require removing the rear window.  The rear window channel design is very poor on these cars because it allows water to just sit in both lower corners, that combined with a vinyl top material that will help soak up and retain moisture is an invitation to rust to form.  Until you remove both the vinyl top and rear window you are not going to know exactly how bad the damage really is.

I know that is not what you were wanting to hear but it is a reality.  Many have found that by the time you can see rust damage starting to appear from under a vinyl top is just scratching the surface of what really lies beneath.  Like Thomas said above, you could really be opening a real can of worms and a lot is going to depend upon your fabrication skills as to if you can repair this yourself or if you will need help.

rob

Really appreciate the feedback guys this is all new to me but im aware of the challenges that lie ahead, this car holds a fair amount of sentimental value to me and my family so i think its worth the process. For fabrication skills ive never really done any of such but do have some skilled welders for friends, that being said I live in an apartment in a busy city and have literally nowhere to do such extensive work. So im mostly looking at quotes for a shop to do both sides and rear window, been quoted 2 grand each side if i provide the materials and remove the vinyl myself. Which seems on the cheap side comparing to other shops around vancouver, most likely will go there.

Mack