2019 Western Meet

Canuck

With two months to go until the 2018 Western Meet in The Dalles, OR we are narrowing down the search for the 2019 location since we will announce it at this year's meet. We were starting a trend of the Peach City Beach Cruise in Penticton every odd year but that does not have to continue in 2019 if another viable location is found. I would appreciate some input from members regarding an event that we can attend as a meet. Please do not simply post a city/state location, we would like a specific event and location that meets the following criteria:

- Prefer a 3-day event with some activities, vendors, cruises, etc.

- The event/location must be accessible to a good number of members. The location must be likely to have at least 15 members in attendance.

- It is preferred to have the event in July/August as it is typically easier for more members to attend. We have had meets in June and September with some success so they are a possibility.

- The event does not have to be huge but it should be enough to try and draw members to drive from a good distance away.

- We must have a member who can organize and attend the meet. I will organize the meet if it is within a reasonable distance but cannot get to all areas. If anyone else wants to jump in and organize a meet, let me know.

- The event should be well established. Some events are not run well and can cause problems for our meet.

To submit a possible event, please provide the event name, event location, event date, web site link, and other information that might be helpful. It can even be an event we've attended in the past.

As always, I already have a few events in mind but there could be some out there I'm not aware of that would be suitable for a meet.

Thank you!

Here's a few examples:

Kruise of Klamath

Klamath Falls, OR

June 28-30, 2019

https://www.kruiseofklamath.org/

Car shows, cruises, poker run. We've never done this one before
Video:

Northwest Motorfest

Boise, ID
End of June/Early July

https://www.motorfestboise.com/
Car show, flea market, drag racing, burnouts, treated us well last time

Video: 

Peach City Beach Cruise
Penticton, BC

June 21-23, 2019

http://www.peachcitybeachcruise.com/

Car show, cruises, flea market, the event treats us very well
Video:

Silver Dollar Car Classic
Carson City, NV
Early August
http://www.silverdollarcarclassic.com/
Car show, poker run. Not a huge show but a fun weekend

Cruisin the Pines
Grass Valley, CA

Early September

http://www.roaminangels.com/htmls/carshow.html
Car show, market, car corral
There are limited hotel options. We would need to secure a different hotel than last time.
Video:

I have spoken with the Kruise of Klamath event people and they would provide a special parking area and even consider adding a Monte Carlo award class if we attended their show.

• Like 1

Way to go Aaron.... I pays to know people in low places.  Last year at my Carlisle Mini-Meet they had us parked a long way from everything and when I said something to my Carlisle contact following that mini-meet I requested we be moved closer and this year we now have a very prime location for our cars.

Another nice thing about returning to a location for a meet that you have been before is it seems that they get to know us and it is easier to get some things to go your way.  

rob

Way to go Aaron.... I pays to know people in low places.  Last year at my Carlisle Mini-Meet they had us parked a long way from everything and when I said something to my Carlisle contact following that mini-meet I requested we be moved closer and this year we now have a very prime location for our cars.

Another nice thing about returning to a location for a meet that you have been before is it seems that they get to know us and it is easier to get some things to go your way.  

rob

Yeah whenever we do the Peach City Beach Cruise they really roll out the red carpet. The Kruise of Klamath event seems to be excited to have us even though we've never done it before. There's some events that really don't seem to care so we don't attend those ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Aaron, This is my choice seeing how you are asking for feedback and for Multiple reasons....

Peach City Beach Cruise

Penticton, BC

June 21-23, 2019

Car show, cruises, flea market, the event treats us very well.

Is it too easy for me to choose this because it's in Canada........ No as it's still a 11-12 hour drive each way..

With my health I cant cross over due to meds and no coverage, Try to cross over with Oxycotin......... hahaha

It seems the Eastern Meet is in Carlisle every 2nd year and works and could work for us as it has done...

We seem to get the highest count of Monte's at Penticton and Members too.

Penticton gives me a Guaranteed Western Meet every 2nd year and to see extended Family (FGMCC Members).

We take up the whole Hotel and is very close to the show that were are treated the best at and a reasonable price,

and as you mentioned the others that were offered dont give a crap whether we are there or not except one.

Like I said this is just my choice.. 

Darren.

Aaron, This is my choice seeing how you are asking for feedback and for Multiple reasons....

Peach City Beach Cruise

Penticton, BC

June 21-23, 2019

Car show, cruises, flea market, the event treats us very well.

Is it too easy for me to choose this because it's in Canada........ No as it's still a 11-12 hour drive each way..

With my health I cant cross over due to meds and no coverage, Try to cross over with Oxycotin......... hahaha

It seems the Eastern Meet is in Carlisle every 2nd year and works and could work for us as it has done...

We seem to get the highest count of Monte's at Penticton and Members too.

Penticton gives me a Guaranteed Western Meet every 2nd year and to see extended Family (FGMCC Members).

We take up the whole Hotel and is very close to the show that were are treated the best at and a reasonable price,

and as you mentioned the others that were offered dont give a crap whether we are there or not except one.

Like I said this is just my choice.. 

Darren.

All excellent reasons Darren........... Personally I also enjoyed Peach Tree event and looking forward returning.  That being said, others may prefer more variety which also is appealing.  In earlier Posts I think Aaron had alluded to the idea returning to Penticton every other year unless someone has seen a problem with doing so. And considering the miles driven at every Meet by our Canuk neighbors, I don;t see the distance being a inconvenience here in the Northwest to travel to anyway.  

Another good reason is the Collector Car Shows (the more entertaining ones) are not of great number, so spreading those around would seem to make sense.  "Don't want to burn through the deck to soon..............  I vote Penticton based on your argument & my blather Darren................. :)

Doug

Doug

• Like 1

Here are the three things I find most important at car shows with such a great group of friends like you guys:

1) is there anything else to do besides look at cars?

2) is there anything else to do besides look at cars?

3) is there anything else to do besides look at cars?

For me the COMPANY is most important - a car show is just a car show... I really and truly enjoy being able to relax, and have fun spending time with my extended family — which is all of you guys in the FGMCC.

So I like all the stuff we do outside of the show more than the show itself.

These events are like a family reunion for me. The laughs, the chair racing, the food and fun!

I especially enjoy the extracurricular activities. The drives, wine tours, ice cream stops, random acts of Chinese food and pizza. Beer pong in the pool... Burnouts... watching Canadian rap videos about goin’ for a rrriiiipppp!

So, for those reasons - I like the idea of Penticton every other year. It is a solid show, and a known environment with things for everyone to do... even if it’s just looking at cars :)

Now - for other non-Penticton shows, why does it have to be a 2 day or 3 day show?? I think it’d be interesting to stop limiting choices and plan around 1 day shows... or 2 day shows.

I wouldn’t mind spending less time stuck in a car corral — and more time out and about reaching a destination... or just hanging out at a hotel pool all day, making our own car show.

Doing a 1 day show and taking over an entire hotel for 3 days and touring would be a blast.

• Like 2

Hard for me not to want to choose Penticton too. 10 hour drives beat 18 hour drives anytime. Love the area and we are treated so well by the show. Klamath does seem interesting and it could be within driving distance so if it lands there I would definitely consider it. Penticton would be a no brainer.

I like the idea of Penticton every other year. It is a solid show, and a known environment with things for everyone to do... even if it’s just looking at cars :)

Now - for other non-Penticton shows, why does it have to be a 2 day or 3 day show?? I think it’d be interesting to stop limiting choices and plan around 1 day shows... or 2 day shows.

I wouldn’t mind spending less time stuck in a car corral — and more time out and about reaching a destination... or just hanging out at a hotel pool all day, making our own car show.

Doing a 1 day show and taking over an entire hotel for 3 days and touring would be a blast.

The main reason for piggybacking our shows onto an existing show is for insurance reasons. By doing it the way we do, the show we attend is carrying the insurance and we don't. It is very expensive for that type of insurance for a club like ours.

rob

Cruising the Bay in Big Fork, Montana.

Smaller show, around 400 cars. Friday night gathering and BBQ at local car museum with live bands etc. Saturday cruise is excellent, a complete loop around Flathead Lake, with stops at wineries etc. Sunday is the car show. Loved this show for all the reasons Matt mentioned. Its on the Sept long weekend. The hotel we stayed at was a lot like the Rosedale at the peach show.

Great scenery, cruised through the Glacier National Park.

Cruise to the top of the "going to the Sun" road is a must. This road is only open in the summer and not for the faint of heart.

Liked it so much we are booked in again for this year.

I am happy to go Penticton again, but also would like to try some different shows, my 2 cents, well its Canadian money so more like 1 cent worth. lol

• Like 2