Intermittent Starting Problem - need help

1970mcss

I have been having problems with the starter off and on since I bought the car. Sunday I went to back the car out to clean the garage and it wouldn't start. he car had been sitting for a few weeks so I thought the battery was drained. I jumped the car and it started. I tolk it for a long drive and came back, cleaned the garage. When I tried to start it again, nothing. The jumpers didn't work, I tapped the starter with a hammer and it started. Another issue is the horn stopped working. Is the horn relay part of the ignition system?? The starter looks like it's new. Do I just replace it or look for something else. If so what starters do you all recomend? AC Delco?

Thanks Steve, I'm leaning toward a new stater. In the paper work I got with the car, the prior owner put on a rebuilt starter back in 2002. I hope that will fix the problem. Off coarse last night it started right up, thanks again and if you're headed to the eastern meet be safe. I wish it was closer to Chicago

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the starter solenoid. They get beat up from the heat of the engine. Do you have headers? Headers amplify the problem. I use to carry a really long screwdriver when my monte was a daily driver so I could reach between the header tubes and jump the solenoid.  

Steve

could be a long shot but you might try your ignition switch on the column. the rod running down to it might need an adjustment. you can drop the column and move that switch up a little and it might take care of it. mine needed a little adjustment prior to buying a new starter. If you have headers you can also buy a heat shield for the solenoid too.

Jim