Electric Fans

201fireman

Most electric fans are controlled by a thermostatic switch you stick on the radiator. Or a switch you control but there will be times you forget to turn it on.

With the thermostatic switch, if you wire it without key on control, it'll run anytime the switch says it's hot.

Running the fans with the engine off cools whats in the radiator more than with the engine on-but the engine will still heat soak after shut down.

If you have an electric water pump, you can let that run after shut down to avoid heat soak, the radiator fan doesn't need to be running.

I have a delay off relay controlling my pump. Key on the pump runs. Key off the pump shuts after ninety seconds.

I have my fans on a switch (same one that controls my trans cooler fan) so it is not controlled by the ignition, it is controlled by a temperature probe after the switch is on. When I turn the switch off the fans will run for maybe 2 minutes then automatically turn off. I do have separate over ride switch that I can turn them on anytime and keep them going

• 3 weeks later...