Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
Sign in to follow this  
danny_discus

Ebay Black 70 SS

Looks to be documented but per build sheet is missing the vinyl top and I don't see the self-leveling suspension on it at all.  Also on the drivers rear is that a radio antenna?  I thought Montes had that built into the windshield.  Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo-Super-Sport/323316130815

Looks to be documented but per build sheet is missing the vinyl top and I don't see the self-leveling suspension on it at all.  Also on the drivers rear is that a radio antenna?  I thought Montes had that built into the windshield.  Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo-Super-Sport/323316130815

Nice options but unusual interior/exterior color combo - was originally Gobi Beige w/vinyl top.  RPO U76 on build sheet is for a windshield antenna. Don't know about actual selling prices, but asking prices have been soaring recently.  Not sure this one is justified ...

Agree - unbelievable!  If that's a "black vinyl roof", what did they put on it to make it look gray? Like the dual thin-line whitewalls but the botched console retrofit ruins it for me ... at any price ... sad.

Its been relisted, same asking price. The interior color strikes me odd, i'd say obviously some kind of restoration since the vinyl top is gone. If it were still in Miami i'd have to go look at it just because.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo-Super-Sport/323408239418?hash=item4b4ca21b3a:g:xPUAAOSwzXtbL-dt&vxp=mtr

Any ideas again on the antenna in the rear quarter? Also does the seat belt color seem off also? Asking as I’d expect them to match

Any ideas again on the antenna in the rear quarter? Also does the seat belt color seem off also? Asking as I’d expect them to match

According to the build sheet, the antenna should be in the windshield.  That said, those never worked very well and many folks back in the day added something that would actually work.

As far as color matching seatbelts, I think you are right.  I was also wondering about the steering wheel and column as well...shouldn't they be color matched?

Bottom line for me would be that this is certainly a nicely optioned car but there are many issues with it that put it far from original. I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that this car sold earlier this summer at an auction in OK.  I looked it up and it sold for 20k and I would say given the issues with this car, that is about what it is worth...but that is of course just my $0.02

Thanks for the antenna explanation and I didn’t even notice the steering column color. I would agree the OK auction price is a lot closer to the value.

According to the build sheet, the antenna should be in the windshield.  That said, those never worked very well and many folks back in the day added something that would actually work.

As far as color matching seatbelts, I think you are right.  I was also wondering about the steering wheel and column as well...shouldn't they be color matched?

Bottom line for me would be that this is certainly a nicely optioned car but there are many issues with it that put it far from original. I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that this car sold earlier this summer at an auction in OK.  I looked it up and it sold for 20k and I would say given the issues with this car, that is about what it is worth...but that is of course just my $0.02

Thanks for posting the auction selling price, that answers  a lot of questions for me. As far as interior colors glad people chimed in, I didn't study in depth why it seemed odd to me but going back it makes sense. 

In 70, the column and wheel were color matched to the interior, except for the SS cars. They had black, but there have been a few Super Sports found recently that came with color matched columns and steering wheels.

The cars with the standard seat belts all came with black belts and black plastic buckle covers. The Deluxe Seat Belt option was color keyed belts with brushed aluminum looking metal buckle covers.

Dan

In 70, the column and wheel were color matched to the interior, except for the SS cars. They had black, but there have been a few Super Sports found recently that came with color matched columns and steering wheels.

The cars with the standard seat belts all came with black belts and black plastic buckle covers. The Deluxe Seat Belt option was color keyed belts with brushed aluminum looking metal buckle covers.

Dan

Dan hit the nail on the head.  I was about to reply but thanks to Dan, I don't need to type anything else....

rob