Wire Question Help Needed

1970mcss

The wiring diagram shows a 20 Y wire between the coil and the starter solenoid and 12 ppl. I assume that 20 & 12 is the gauge of the wire. 20 seems small to me. I have been having starter problems and when I got the car it looks like the two leads to the solenoid have been spliced so I thinking I need to run new wires. 

Paul, it's hard to say if the spliced wires are contributing to your "starter problems" but it should be fairly quick and easy to eliminate that as a possibility. 

The '70 wiring diagram confirms that the wire from the coil to the solenoid should be a 20 ga yellow wire.  The color doesn't matter, of course, but if it is not yellow, it might have been replaced so confirm that it is at least 20 ga or larger (smaller numerically) wire. I doubt that Chevy would have put an inadequate wiring scheme into production so unless there is another mitigating factor that 20 ga wire should be adequate.  The splice could be a problem, however.  If it is just twisted and taped, it needs to be soldered or have a proper wire nut snugly affixed.  If it was spliced with a butt connector, it might be the wrong size and/or improperly crimped. 

As you have suggested, simply replacing that wire with the correct connector properly crimped to each end is probably the best fix.  Or, you could redo the crimp.  A red butt connector covers wire sizes 22-18 awg wires and a crimper with a center tooth should be used instead of the type that simply mash both sides in.  A heat-shrink version or using a heat shrink tubing over the connector can be used to keep moisture out.

Replacing the 12 ga purple wire may require removing the fuse block from the firewall (I've added and changed wire locations there during full gauge dash conversion and I had the fuse block off the firewall for that operation).  Or, possibly redo the current splice with a yellow butt connector.  Of course, you could also replace either splice using a variety of pluggable connectors if that's all you had available. Good luck.

Thanks Dennis, I think the plan to run complete new wires will eliminate my problem. I have replaced the starter and neutral safety switch and still nothing. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

I unbolted the harness from the block retainer and found the wires were spliced and the casing on both wires had rubbed through and I'm assuming touching each other or the block. I will repair those wires and reinstall. One question I have is does the starter get grounded to the chassis?? I don't see that the assembly manual shows a ground wire. 

Thanks, more questions.. Someone replaced the engine harness, do the replacement harness come with a extra TCS soleniod wire(orange) for a manual trans?? also, my car came with a after market starter with a shield. Did these cars have heat shields for the starter?? I don't think they did.

Thanks in advance, Paul