Loss of all power, No lights etc, just dead

Terbronco7

Please help, Car was driving fine then it just died, no lights power to anything, let it sit awhile got it started got it home shut it off now same thing no power, and its been hours so I'm lost, I did notice that while pressing brake pedal the radio would cut off then come back on....at least I got it home but now its just a dead duck, any suggestions? Battery is good so I am at a loss also the alternator seemed to be pretty hot not sure if that helps

By pressing the brake and radio quiting and coming back on sounds like a short in the wiring under the dash. Now I have been wrong today on anything YET but it does sounds like a wiring problem. I had a 66 Caddy convertible and when I stepped on the brakeĀ  pedal all the dash and tail lights would go off because my neutral safety switch was partially unplugged.

Check the battery connections, Not just at the battery but at the other end. To me it sounds very much like a bad grounding issue so I would start with the negative cable.

rob

I was thinking that either the battery is bad or the charging system is not working, causing the battery to go dead.

Do you have a volt meter?

If you get it running simply check the voltage at the battery with the engine running.

Bruce

What year Monte? If 70, check the wires and power distribution block on the radiator support by the battery. I have had these connections give the problem you are describing. Good luck!

What year Monte? If 70, check the wires and power distribution block on the radiator support by the battery. I have had these connections give the problem you are describing. Good luck!

Its a 71, battery is good, also as a precaution hooked up a new one and same issue

Its a 71, battery is good, also as a precaution hooked up a new one and same issue

I will check that as well the wire from my hot on battery going to behind battery feels a little soft so you may be on to something here, Thanks for your help

I was thinking that either the battery is bad or the charging system is not working, causing the battery to go dead.

Do you have a volt meter?

If you get it running simply check the voltage at the battery with the engine running.

Bruce

Battery is fine, hooked a new one up same issue

Ā 

I will check that as well the wire from my hot on battery going to behind battery feels a little soft so you may be on to something here, Thanks for your help

If I am remembering correctly the wire from the posiibattery terminal to the distribution block is a type of fusable link. I hope that is the problem. Good luck again!

If I am remembering correctly the wire from the posiibattery terminal to the distribution block is a type of fusable link. I hope that is the problem. Good luck again!

I hope so as well, I will keep everyone updated on the progress, Thanks all

I hope so as well, I will keep everyone updated on the progress, Thanks all

You were rightĀ MC1of80Ā got home tonight and found the wire was corroded in two, fixed it and all is well, Thanks for the help everyone!!! :shifter: