More wiring questions

1970mcss

I have been fixing some shotty wiring on my car. I have a orange wire hanging under the car. The harness was replaced and the assembly manual shows a orange wire for a manual trans. The other issue I have is the black with purple stripe was spliced, I'm not sure where the wires are to go. I think it is for the TSC switch. Can anyone help....

post-6465-0-56264400-1530847162_thumb.jpeg

post-6465-0-61901800-1530847188_thumb.jpeg

post-6465-0-50211200-1530847203_thumb.jpeg

I think I found the anwsers to my question if someone can confirm. The factory and replacement harnesses came with the orange wire for non air cars(chevelles). The assemebly workers would cut and tape the wire if not needed. The prior owner had it routed to the transmission so I assumed it was for the TCS system. The pink pigtail connector was added to the harness for a Chevelle with a working cowl flap. Now I just have to figure out how the hood light was powered.. please let me know if this seems correct....

Paul, the under-hood light has a single black (positive) wire that originates at the horn relay on my '70 SS.  It runs in the harness that lays up over the top of the driver's inner fender.  Near the top of the fender arch, the wire exits the bundle wrapping to expose an in-line fuse and then re-enters the wrapping and exits again well in front of the firewall to go up and connect to the under-hood light which is attached to the rear underside of the hood on the driver's side.  As you probably know, that light socket has a built-in mercury switch which turns it on when the hood is opened and shuts it off when the hood is closed.  The hood functions as the ground or negative side of the circuit. 

If you are spending several hours displaying your Monte at a car show with the hood up, it is very convenient to simply separate the two halves of the in-line fuse to keep the under-hood light from draining your battery.  BTW, I searched the '70 wiring diagrams carefully and found all of the courtesy lights and the trunk light but not the under-hood light.  Not sure if I missed it of if it was never shown.

Dennis, I didn't see it in the diagram ether. I thought about using the extra orange lead but I will look for the wire at the relay. What guage wire would that have been? Thanks

Paul, I am reasonably sure it is 18 ga wire, same size as used for the courtesy lights and trunk light.

BTW, page 860 of the '70 Assembly Manual (see attached photo) shows why it is not included in the wiring diagram.  The underhood light is RPO U26 so it is optional.  The bill of materials includes tape to attach the power wire (from the horn relay to the light socket) to the standard wiring bundle.

post-567-0-64461500-1530999589_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dennis, I finally got the car started so this will be my next project. Although now I noticed the horn stopped working so I have to find out why. I'm not sure if something in the horn contact went wrong or if I have a problem with the relay. I'm not sure how to test it.

Thanks again with the hood light