Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
Sign in to follow this  
72-CLASSIC_RIDE

1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Saw this on eBAY and the asking price queried me to investigate further as to how he came to it's value.  While it does not specifically say so, I believe the 402 Motor in the car is not original to the car.  I noticed the engine build date of Dec. 16, 1971 & then the Build Sheet picture serial number does not match that of the VIN # supplied identifying the engine in the Ad.  Wouldn't by that time Chevrolet was well into the 1971 Model Year?  The passenger side mirror was not an option as stated either.

Not picking it apart!  A very nice clean looking car and certainly worthy of a premium.  Probably not asking price though.  :confused: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo/382515329314?hash=item590fb0b922:g:kXsAAOSwtEVbQ2m1&vxp=mtr  

Doug

That car was purchased at Mecum Kissamee earlier this year. It was a very clean looking Monte, I believe there was another member here who also looked at the car who is more knowledgeable than I am 

For $57, 000 would put a new emblem in the grill

Nice car though

That's a consignment shop. They ask big money for everything and most of the time they get it.

I was at the Mecum sale in Kissimmee in February of this year specifically to try and buy that car.  I tried to buy the car and was in the bidding up to 30k before I dropped out.  These guys bought the car for $32k and have done nothing to it but transport it to their shop in MI.  It is absolutely not worth the price they are asking...I doubt it is worth the price they paid for it. 

Although the car has definitely had a restoration done on it, it was not a frame off, rotisserie job as this seller claims.  Further there are some very noticeable (albeit small) issues with the car when seen in person.  For instance the emblem in the grill is not in good shape, the burl on the console is marked/scratched up and the grill itself is actually broken and JB welded back on the drivers side.  Some less obvious things are the interior, according to the build sheet, this car should have cloth seats.  These are just a few of the issues I found when looking at the car in person. 

They have had this car on their site for this price since just after they purchased it in February.  While I don't think they will get the price they are asking, I believe another member actually contacted them about this car and they told him they were not willing to negotiate at all on the price.

Thanks for posting Steve, I had heard you were there but didn't know first hand so didn't throw your name out. I didn't go as high as you on the bidding (laughing) and was surprised when I saw the car re-listed on the web for that price. I originally went for the triple black 454 monte but didn't like that one at all, but at least I was in good company bidding on this one, damn flippers.