Adding another fuse block for accessories

Crank

Wondering if anyone has added another fuse block under the hood to power HEI distributor, electric fans, stereo etc. What all would be involved? Relays, keyed power, circuit breakers etc. Any advice and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Dale,

My '70 factory 402/4-speed was a very low-option car (not even power steering!) so when I began to add the options I wanted (A/C, power steering, power windows, power door locks, keyless entry, courtesy lights, power seat back releases, etc.) I soon realized I need more fused power taps.  So, I added a simple 6-port Buss expansion block ( No. 15600-06-20) that I picked off the rack at Advance Auto (see photos).  For convenient access, I chose to install it on the back edge of the bottom of the dash panel just above the driver's left knee.  The location makes it very easy to plug/unplug connectors and change fuses but it could also be mounted elsewhere.  So far, I have used four of the six (individually-fused) ports for power windows, power door locks, keyless entry and power seat back locks.  

The expansion block receives power via its own 10 ga copper braided wire routed directly from a C-shaped power tap clamped between the positive battery side terminal and the main positive power cable (see photos).  The independent wire is routed across and along the radiator support, up over the driver's inner fender and through the firewall with a rubber grommet to protect it.  I also ran a separate 10 ga wire from the IGN tap on the stock fuse panel through the firewall directly to my HEI.  Not saying this is exactly what would work for you, but it has worked well for me.

As you can imagine, up under my dash there is now a lot of wiring going every which way but the connectors and fuses are readily accessible and I haven't over-loaded any circuits. Also, the stock fuse block remains relatively uncluttered.  By contrast, my '70 SS was well-optioned so I decided to just piggy-back the keyless entry and power seat back release systems onto the stock fuse block.  It can be done, of course, but I am getting too old and inflexible to enjoy messing with the stock fuse panel on my back with tri-focals so I may give up and add an expansion block to it as well.  Hope some of this makes sense and helps you decide what to do.  Good luck.

post-567-0-02124600-1531937362_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-91527100-1531937382_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-60022900-1531937407_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-40704000-1531937747_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-57841600-1531937526_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-65852800-1531937484_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-84488400-1531937502_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Dale,

The expansion block receives power via its own 10 ga copper braided wire routed directly from a C-shaped power tap clamped between the positive battery side terminal and the main positive power cable (see photos).  

Where did you get the C-Sshaped power tap? I have a lightly optioned car that has had a lot of things added. The method you worked out could be very helpful in cleaning up a bit of my wiring. Like you I have a fair amount of new circuits and while everything works as it is set up I think I could make it better after seeing what you did. Also it provides something for me to do, sorta think I am flunking retirement (aka not busy enough)

Ray

Ray, 

The "C" power tap in the photo I found at Advance Auto Parts in SW FL hanging among the electrical connectors in a small, flat,  clear plastic box.  I bought another one last summer up here in MN at NAPA but it was not with all of the other electrical connectors, it was hanging in the battery accessory section with other terminals and connectors.  Just about any store clerk you ask will look at you like you had three noses and don't have a clue what you are talking about. Then when you finally find it and pull it off their rack, they think you are a magician who just pulled a rabbit out of your hat.   I actually drew a picture of one for a store clerk and he said, "yeah, I've seen something like that around here", but he had no clue where to look. 

Apparently it is not a commonly used accessory but it is still stocked in many places.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any online - probably because I don't remember the exact name or manufacturer.   So, I suggest you go to a well-stocked auto parts store and scour both the electrical connector and battery accessory sections.  Hopefully you will find one and the cost $3 or less.

Ok that is what I need...a potential sales location for the product!

I gotta tell ya, and I won't rant too long here, I HATE going to the auto parts stores. Maybe not all old geezers hate it but I know I do. The vacant look ya get back when you want almost anything and don't have a VIN number is exasperating. I don't wanna go back to the 60's for 1000's of reasons but I sure would like something other than a blank expression coming back at me when I ask for a part.

God help folks like me who have modified cars that don't fit the standard Y/M/M description. Long gone are the days when there was ANY technical savvy behind the counter.  We now live in a world where the parts guys are younger than our cars, where mismatching cross pollinating parts between years  (67 Vette 3x2 in a 72 Monte Carlo with a 5 speed...SAY WHAT???) is just unheard of.

Thx

Ray

Thank you very much for the information. Your expansion fuse block has power all the time? Where can you wire it in so it is keyed?

Consider a relay in the power wire that supplies power to the supplementary fuse box. MAKE SURE the relay can handle the total draw that might be experienced from the total number of circuits in the supplementary fuse panel. Power the relay from a switched source. Look for an industrial relay from an industrial supplier like Grainger. The stuff at the auto parts stores is IMHO marginal as far as longevity and quality.

The reason I suggest a high capacity / quality relay is because you want to be sure that whatever is wired into that supplementary panel will be available when you need it. Suppose you have an electric water pump or fuel pump hooked to that box and maybe electric fans. If the relay croaks you are dead in the water w/o fans or a water pump or a fuel pump or maybe all three!