Extra Wire

jimtwin

Good morning everyone, last night I was installing a new light switch on our 1970 Monte Carlo. I when I disconnected the lower dash trim from under the steering wheel i found a black wire with a female connector on it not connected to anything (see pic). I traced it up the dash to a wiring harness right below the dash pad (see Pic). does anyone have a clue on what this could be??? it does have an aftermarket radio could this be the ground for the factory radio. 

Thanks 

post-24193-0-48308900-1532613260_thumb.jpeg

post-24193-0-13872300-1532613285_thumb.jpeg

How long is it. There should be a black wire that looks like that going to your door jamb switch for the dome light. Is there also a white wire there. It should also go to your door jamb switch for dome light. That looks a factory wire, not anything from an aftermarket radio.

Hey Dave, Dan is right. That should be for your door pin switch. You can disconnect your battery and then grab a 7-16th deep socket and loosen off your door pin in the jamb on the drivers door. That’s where the white and black wires connect. Not aftermarket related.

Darren

I did take the door jam switch off and there is a white wire connected to the switch, but i don't see a space for the back one to plug into? also the dome light doesn't work when you the door but does with the headlight switch.

Thanks 

Aren't the Door Jam Switches different for Driver/Passenger side?  A 2 prong on driver side & 1 prong on passenger.  You may have the passenger side door switch & by replacing it with the correct one would fix your problem?

I'm not completely sure about this but as I remember it, I think I'm right about them being different. 

Doug

Yep your right Doug....... The passenger side has a single barrel type plug that goes right dab in the middle of the door pin and is white in color. The drivers side is always 2 pin, one side white and one side black. My guess which does happen is the spade for the black wire to slide on has broken off and when it does, it breaks off on such a thin peg it doesnt even look like there was one to begin with.

You can get a used one off any chevelle, olds, buick or monte from the drivers side. That Black wire completes the loop for the dome light and will make it work.

Darren.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, i think the suggestion are correct. the dome light switch as been messed with and only has one connection left. i need to get a new switch and try connecting both wires.

again thanks I have a few more questions for later.

Dave