1972 hood spear

Steve G

My monte is a 72 and came with a 71 hood spear from the showroom floor (i have pics of it the day it was purchased).

Has any one else came across this before? i was thinking maybe because its a very early production 72 and possibly GM used up overstock on the assembly line. Its a Van Nuys car.

Any info or opinions would be great thanks

Please post that picture . That would be a first for me, however that really doesn't mean alot.

I had thought that the 71 hood had an extra hole for the spear, if that is correct you very well may have a 71 hood as well.

Also which deck-lid badge did they use?

The 1972 hood has the hole for the 1971 hood ornament spring, the 1970 hood does not. 1971 & 1972 hoods are the same.

I doubt they "used up" remaining stock from a previous production year. Leftover parts go into the parts system. Assembly lines spend a few weeks changing over to the next year's production run.

It is possible the dealer swapped the spear to a 71 style for a customer request before that photo was taken. It would be very unlikely that a 71 spear was installed on a 72 in the factory. Unfortunately it can't be proven either way what really happened.

It is possible the dealer swapped the spear to a 71 style for a customer request before that photo was taken. It would be very unlikely that a 71 spear was installed on a 72 in the factory. Unfortunately it can't be proven either way what really happened.

that may be the best idea... reason being is the car was bought by my Mom and Dad in 1971. The car was a special order  and sent to Fairway Chevrolet in San Bruno.

It was discounted and sold off the back lot. The pewter green exterior with green interior was an acquired taste.

So maybe the person who ordered it was unable to get the car for whatever reason.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...