1970 Monte Conversion to Buckets and Center Console

The Archivist

All we are attempting to convert to buckets (we bought OPGI buckets) and while we are,  convert from column to floor shift console on our 1970 Monte SS 454. Has anyone attempted this (a console convert)?   We have some good instructions provided here on the buckets, but have some questions on the console conversion.

With the console OPGI repro console kit and R4/700 tranny conversion kit. Can the speedo/drive shift linkage to the old ON-Column shifter be tied to the Horseshoe console shift?  I don't like the idea of having to remove the original speedometer gauge, number one, and would love to still see my shift setting in the dash move in tandem with the floor shift.

Strange question I know but we gutted the under dash redid the wiring, new plexiglass and OEM, gauges painted, new LED bulbs etc so we hate to go back in there. 

However while we do this conversion we plan to put new carpet and pad.  Below is a list of parts I have in the checkout cart for the console conversion.  Does this cover it? And lastly does anyone make a steering column collar for this type conversion?

Parts list.

Thanks for any input!

post-24204-0-84494000-1533238879_thumb.png

post-24204-0-25495600-1533238894_thumb.png

post-24204-0-87815400-1533238899_thumb.png

post-24204-0-48799700-1533238919_thumb.jpg

You shouldn’t need the NSS for the shifter as it should come with it installed. The padding under the carpet I would do sound and heat control on the floors. Also before you buy shop other suppliers as OPGI will cost more for the same part you can get for less. I like to shop at yearone.com and chevelle.com

You really want to get a 4 piece bracket kit of floor brackets to mount the seats to. Using the style you have shown, will mount your seats crooked. Then the side panels on the buckets will rub on the seat belt retractors. That 2 piece kit is a bunch of junk. Cars came with the 4 bracket set up from GM.

• Like 2

You may need a compartment lock for the console door. I do not think the kits come with them. You can just cut the nub off the column and fill it in and re paint the column. No column swap is needed.

• Like 1

Hey Caulder, You can leave your speedo in and use all the linkage from the column shift column BUT it wont work for your 700R4 tranny. You will need to get a floor shift steering column, thats not on your list. You can hook up the linkage and still tie in the line cable to the PRNDL1 from the collar on the column, but the Shiftworks Plate that goes on the console will shift differently from that of the indicator on the speedo. The gear select is set up for 350/400 tranny shifting and will match up but not with a 700r4.

I hope the carpet you ordered was for a Buckets car with console..... the benchseat carpet is different and covers less.

I bought everthing for a 72 monte I had from The Parts Place Inc as it was all in stock and shipped at once.

I have had grief after grief from OPGI with Back order after back order. they don't say there stuff is in or out of stock and when you order it and pay for it is when it then shows up as out of stock. frustrating as no refund just waiting and waiting for the parts to finally fill and then more shipping charges incurred.

I called Parts place inc and they verified everything in stock and took the time to take my order and it all cam up to Canada super quick.

Darren

You really want to get a 4 piece bracket kit of floor brackets to mount the seats to. Using the style you have shown, will mount your seats crooked. Then the side panels on the buckets will rub on the seat belt retractors. That 2 piece kit is a bunch of junk. Cars came with the 4 bracket set up from GM.

Thanks for all the great tips.  This 4 piece bracket where can one find it? And to clarify we will need to replace the whole steering column for the center console to work wit 700/R4? And a NSS is not needed? And can you point us to the right carpet if we picked the wrong one in the cart.

So far we only have ordered the bucket seats, the rest I'm sorting out before the final order. 

Thanks guys!

You will also need to get some seat belt pockets.

Copy that...And to clarify we will need to replace the whole steering column for the center console to work with a 700/R4? This stock automatic shifter column will not work because? Just so I can understand.

Thanks!

If you replaced it, what would you replace it with? Use the column you have. It will work.

Copy that, I was just figuring in what LS5 had said...

"You can leave your speedo in and use all the linkage from the column shift column BUT it wont work for your 700R4 tranny. You will need to get a floor shift steering column, thats not on your list. You can hook up the linkage and still tie in the line cable to the PRNDL1 from the collar on the column, but the Shiftworks Plate that goes on the console will shift differently from that of the indicator on the speedo. The gear select is set up for 350/400 tranny shifting and will match up but not with a 700r4."

• 2 months later...

We just wrapped up the conversion (see pictures).  Still two loose ends to sort out but overall things went pretty smoothly (no rust on interior floor pan at all, the new shifter works great and is very smooth) installing the refurbished buckets, new console, under mat, ACC carpet and Fisher sill plates. We were able to keep the steering column (cut the shifter collar painted and modified it) due to the back drive mechanism that evidently moves the console cars collar via linkage on 1969-GM console optioned cars of that era. 

Two issues remain, the console decal does not match the shifter cover Burlwwood, so we are looking for the right matching decal for the front of the console the one that came is way off.

Second and most important,  the new wiring harness coming from the console has a three wire mating plug (orange, white, brown wires) we cannot locate a mating connection where this would connect. 

Last spring we rewired and re-wrapped much of the harness and redid the gauges, so we do not recall there being a mating connector for the center console lights but we may not have noticed one hiding.  Was there one for console optioned cars? Or do we have to splice in a mating connector?

Thanks for any input.

IMG_0488.JPG

IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

The dash harness for a console car had a connector that mated up to the connector on the console extension harness, which mated up to the console harness. A non console equipped car did not have this connector/ plug in the dash harness. You say you have a harness with 3 wires. A white, an orange and brown wires. The brown wires have me confused. That should be a gray wire. Please post a picture of your harness. You can tap into your original harness to make the connections. The orange must connect to an orange in your harness. Such as the orange for the glove box light or the cigarette lighter. This must be a constant hot wire. The white goes to the white wire for the passenger door jamb switch. This is so that the rear console courtesy light goes on when the door or doors are open. The gray goes to the gray for the dash lights. This is the power wire for the shift indicator lights. An easy access point is to connect to the gray wire going to the light bulb on the back of the heater control. The connections I mentioned could be made by using a scotch lock. This would be the easiest way. The correct way is to unwrap the harness and solder the correct color wires into the harness and then add the proper mating connector that would connect to the console extension harness. This is how I do it. There is black tape on the wires where you need to tap in. Remove this tape and you will see factory solder joints. This is where you tap in to do it as the factory did.

Yes grey whoops Im sorry. So I need to find this style mating connector https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/28190/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgOzdBRDlARIsAJ6_HNm_1zTeYmuyODau8JyyyYz0SXlDzh33GgLg_arzTNtSNfTFmsxpjKgaAnayEALw_wcB

Any ideas the make, model or brand?

Anyways this is a huge help thank you.  This weekends project to finalize this conversion. 

This is the plug you need to ad to your dash harness that connects to your console extension harness. It has the white, orange and gray wires in it that you need. The camera flash made the white and gray wires look almost the same color. They are the correct colors. The wires are almost 20" long. Private Message if you are interested in purchasing this. We can work out the details there.

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG