They Must Think I Was Born Yesterday

Rob Peters

Patsy and I have been thinking it would be great to take a couple months and do a long cross country trip.  One of the things we had considered was finding a medium sized used motor motor home in good condition, do the trip and then sell it.

We have not looked hard but recently I found a 2005 Fleetwood with only 31,000 miles on it at a STUPID low price and decided to try to check it out.  This Motorhome was listed the Pittsburgh, Pa local paper.  After a few days the "seller" replied to my email.  They said they were wanting a quick sale due to a divorce.   The red flags started going up when they did not answer all of my questions.

I asked the person, in an email to give me a call to discuss arranging to meet and look the motor home over.  The more I conversed with this person the more I started thinking SCAM.  Well, the seller sealed the deal today.  THIS HAS TO BE A SCAM.  I checked on line prices for a 2005 Fleetwood motorhome 31 foot with 31,000 miles and the prices ranged from$30K to near $50K.  This seller only wanted $7K.  I was born at night but not only last night.  I decided to play along with the seller a little bit, mostly to waste their time and to see exactly what the next email would bring that would totally expose their scam.  Well below is the email they sent me.  If I was not sure before this email I am convinced of the SCAM now.  Below is their latest email.  What do you think:

Hello Rob,

It has V10 gasoline Ford engine.Please find all pictures attached to this email. I will do my best to walk you through the process. As I told you in my first email, I recently got divorced. I got a new job and moved to Fargo, ND. The motorhome is at the shipping company in Fargo sealed and ready for shipping. I have a contract with Wesco Logistics so this deal must go through them. According with Wesco Logistics you have 5 days from the time you receive the motorhome to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not. Here is how it will work

First of all, I will need the following details from you: full name, full shipping address and phone number so I can forward it to Wesco Logistics.

They will process your info and send both of us invoices. On the invoice you will find all the instructions on how to complete the transaction. Once the payment is completed the shipping process will start ( on my cost I repeat). After you receive the motorhome you will have 5 days to test and verify it.

If you decide to keep the motorhome, Wesco Logistics will release the money to me and our transaction is complete. If, by any reason, you won't be satisfied with the motorhome ( even though I can assure you that it is exactly as described), you can return it at my expense for a full refund of your money, no questions asked.

If you agree, please provide your full name and shipping address and I will get everything started immediately. All you will need to do is follow through with their guidelines. You will receive along with the motorhome all it's papers, documents and manuals. I have a few guys interested so I'll need a prompt answer from you!

Thank you!

I have seen these transactions before... the only thing that makes me wonder is why would he go through all this effort to sell for 1/4 of market value?

if it seems to good to be true.............

I have seen these transactions before... the only thing that makes me wonder is why would he go through all this effort to sell for 1/4 of market value?

if it seems to good to be true.............

Steve, That was the very first red flag.  I did not go on line to check the value until after I had sent him my first email.  Anything after that was just to play along and try to waste their time.  I thought the same thing as you.  If they had listed the price at more than double that their story of the divorce may have been more believable but their last email really sealed the deal.  The problem is some people may be gullible to follow through without checking the things I did. 

If nothing else, I had fun playing the game.

rob 

Rob, I have seen this before also. Craigslist, (2002 Honda Gold Wing). I followed along until I got the same info. on "packed and ready to ship from such and such" inspect for 5 days and so on. I contacted Craigslist and spoke with someone on it and they definitely said it was SCAM. Watch out.... Their out there.

Jim