looking for long tube headers for BB that actually fit

Steve G

I'm sure you will get many opinions. I personally have hooker super comp headers on my 496 in my 70 SS. Fit with no clearance issues what so ever. It's a big tube header though. May be too big of a primary tube without knowing what you have.

I put Headman 1 3/4" Long Tube Headers on my 72 Monte 402 CI. engine and they fit nicely with no modification(s).  One of the Tubes sits close to the Proportional Valve on the frame but as of today, no problems.  The other thing I liked about them is they have the 3/8" thick flanges and after a couple cinching sessions early on, I haven't had to worry about them since.  They have been on since January of 2010.  I highly recommend them and believe the part number is 303-C or 313-C.  The C stands for Ceramic Coated.  On the high side for cost but as they say, you usually get what you pay for.....................  Good Luck with your choices  :)

Doug      

I put Headman 1 3/4" Long Tube Headers on my 72 Monte 402 CI. engine and they fit nicely with no modification(s).  One of the Tubes sits close to the Proportional Valve on the frame but as of today, no problems.  The other thing I liked about them is they have the 3/8" thick flanges and after a couple cinching sessions early on, I haven't had to worry about them since.  They have been on since January of 2010.  I highly recommend them and believe the part number is 303-C or 313-C.  The C stands for Ceramic Coated.  On the high side for cost but as they say, you usually get what you pay for.....................  Good Luck with your choices  :)

Doug      

When i ran the 313-c number it comes up as a Doug Thorley header for the big block. I have ran Thorley headers before and never had issues with leaks or fitment.

The price is a tad up there but this seems like a logical option.

My biggest concern was the proportioning valve. 

I also have the Hooker Super Comps.... the primary tubes are 2" with a 3.5" collector. The right side drops right in (my Monte is a factory no AC 454 car but I don't see anyone having a problem with AC) and the left side for the most part can go right in but.... I had to lift the steering box out of the way to move the steering shaft out of the way to get it in. Now maybe not necessary but the proportioning block was really close to the header so I made a bracket to lift it up and over the frame ( the brake lines reach without modification and this modification was mentioned in the instructions) and I did very slightly dimple one of the pipes to make clearance for the steering shaft.  

Not a difficult install but I've installed some headers that needed to be beat to a pulp in order to get them in.

My 2 cents,

Steve

post-121-0-77724900-1533819457_thumb.jpg

X2 to what Steve said. Only I disconnected the steering shaft at the box to get the header in. My car was A/C but all the parts were missing so I installed the a/c blockoff box. It looks similar to a non a/c car only bigger. With the original A/C box installed the #8 plug is a little difficult to get to.